No Internet Connection with Server 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Simon HEster, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Hi everyone

Looking for some help and hope this is right place to put the post
    My main problem is I can’t get my windows server 2003 machine to connect to the internet. It has had me puzzled all day and I figured a post on here should be the shortest way get the right answer and get it fixed.

My questions are below but first I thought it would be best to outline how I have things setup below so here goes.

• I have a Belkin ADSL router (router 1) connected to the internet. This router is used for my family’s laptop.

• To keep things separate I have a second Belkin router (router 2) which is used for my own network and study.

• Both of these routers are bridged using the Belkin router interfaces. Therefore router 2 has its DCHP turned off. Router 1 still has its DCHP turned on with a assignment range of 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.20

• Router 1 IP 192.168.2.1 this is fixed
    • Router 2 IP 192.168.2.2 this is fixed

• I have one PC with windows server 2003 installed and this PC is set as the domain controller. This is connected to router 2 with a fixed IP of 192.168.2.30

• However my server PC will not connect to the internet. I’ve checked if I can ping the routers and it just times out every time on both router IP’s. However when I look at the network connection properties is shows that packets are being sent and received so I figured the NIC card must be ok?

• I have a second windows XP pro machine (PC 1) that I want to eventually connect to the server PC. I have managed to get this PC to access the internet and it works fine connecting through the bridged routers. Currently setup as follows connected to router 2 with dynamic IP assignment from router 1.

Questions

I’m very new to server 2003 and any server platform did server 2000 at university back in 2003 but that’s it. But here are my questions if anyone can help or knows were I can find the answers please let me know.

1. Any ideas on how to get the server PC onto the internet?
    a. Does it have anything to do with the special security features of server 2003? When I open internet explorer I get messages about services being turned off etc to help security.
    b. I’m lost really so any pointers would be great.
    My overall plan is or was to set up my server network using router 2 as I thought this could supply the internet connection to the server and then provide the connections (act as a switch) to connect PC 1 to the server via the Ethernet ports on router 2. So that PC 1 gets its internet via the server and not direct from the bridged routers.

2. Can this be done as described? Or would I need to second NIC for the server PC
    a. So that I have one NIC working as the internet connection to the bridged routers
    b. The second NIC can then be used to connect directly to PC 1

Any pointers or help would be great.

Thanks and sorry if I waffled on to much.

Simon

2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Hi. You will have setup a static IP on the server when you promoted it to a domain controller. Check you have the right subnet mask and the default gateway is set to the IP of router that connects to your ADSL.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda router is the second one? It isnt an ADSL one is it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Hi

Not sure if it is or not. What I can tell you is the second router has 4 ethernet ports and the 5th one that is used to connect direct to a ADSL modem. It therefore does not have an adsl modem built in. Also this router is not connected to an ADSL line. Will the type of router make a difference.

Not been able to check what NightWalker said I'll do this tomorrow as the network is not at my home address.

Thanks

5. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Just had a thought

Assuming I can get the server PC to connect to the internet.

Given my setup will there not be a conflict as the server will try to assign an IP to the desktop work station and so will the first router as it still has its DHCP enabled.

Would it be better to buy a second NIC so that the server network can operate completely independently. Given the current set up everything will have to be on the same 192.168.2.??? IP address range.

I assume that if I used a second NIC this could be set to connect via the routers on the 192.168.2.??? IP range then the server network could be on a completely different IP range for example 10.0.0.1 using the other NIC if that makes sense.

Sorry if I’m confusing the matter it does not help when I haven’t got the machines in front of me. Will be there tomorrow working on them.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sparky

Yup it makes a big difference.

Is the 5th port a RJ11 port (ADSL) or RJ45?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Its an RJ45

8. Sparky

Nightwalkers suggestion will work if you have configured things correctly. Dont worry about the IP address of your second router, its only there so you can access the web interface of the device in this setup.

The basic rule is that your default gateway gets you on the tinternet so configure the gateway on the NIC of the server to be the ADSL router.

If it doesnt work ping the router, if it works then ping a website by IP address, if that works but you still cant browse the web then it looks like DNS has not been setup correctly.

If the basic pings dont work then ditch the second router and put in a basic switch.

9. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Will be working on this later today and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help.

10. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

I tied for ages trying to figure this out but nothing was working.

In the end I reinstalled server 2003 on the machine and it worked first time. Must have auto configured it. The only difference this time was the server PC was connected to the routers and I guess the internet. When I first installed it was not connected at all.

Well got something to work from now so i'll see how I get on.

Thanks for the replies

Simon