NITLC new member?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JonnyMX, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ah, that will be the career triangle. Did it look like this? Minus my avatar!

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I never said you were. I have alreay repped you for the assistance you're giving to Advent students, as I have also done with EZE Training and Commsupport. Credit where credit is due.

I merely asked if you sell MCSE for people who are not in the IT business. I also asked, that if you do, what your reasoning for doing so is.

So... following on from your answer to my latest post, can you categorically state that any student who is not in a server admin position with a minimum 6 or 12 months full-time role will not be allowed to puruse those certifications that would lead to MCSA and MCSE? If that is the case then I also assume that your courses/training/support must last a few years. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks

John

PS: It would be nice if you put a proper name to your posts. Please don't be shy.

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We are NITLC.
    Resistance is futile.

:borgsmile

Just kidding.

I've been impressed with what I've seen from NITLC, and I have it from a number of respectable sources that they are one of the goodies.

However, they do have a similar business model to other TPs, and anyone who employs salesmen on a commision basis is lightly to get themselves into trouble at some point. It's the nature of the game.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I have never used NITLC, I do know that they are accreditied by the IITT and have worked with the BCS. A couple of people that I've known/know have done courses from them and have like it.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

But Giddy's point still holds merit with me despite Ken and Jonny's positivity.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. NITLC

NITLC New Member

Hi GiddyG,

I didn't mean to suggest that you were making accusations, sorry if it came over that way. I mentioned in my last post about not using the forum for selling because if we go into detail then inevitably we will end up promoting or describing our courses. If you want to find out what we do you can call David Greenwood on our main number.

Again not to duck your question, we have been doing Server 2008 and the new MCITP Microsoft qualifications since September 2008. The closest course we offer to an MCSE is the new MCITP Enterprise Administrator and this has 32 months tutor support as standard. Some of our other courses have 3 years’ support. All courses are designed to support a career progression, so these timeframes are extendable, and a student can put their course on hold before moving onto higher level exams. This allows a student time to gain further experience in the industry and return to their studies when this has been achieved. Even our entry level courses have a support time period of 2 years which is also extendable for the same reasons.

Some TP’s are selling 12 month agreements over the phone giving students the impression that they can achieve an MCSE or higher qualifications in that time frame and the earnings that go with it; we think that this is misleading which is why we provide longer term support as described above and support them in making an informed decision face to face. We can support Server 2003 and MCSE but based on the fact that students aiming for a higher level would need 2 or more years to get there we recommend the new Microsoft qualifications that are more job specific and up to date.

Very few people come to us with absolutely no IT knowledge. We do have modules that cover even the very basics but these are hardly ever taken up nowadays. We take into consideration the level a student may be able to attain given their ambition, ability, time to study and so on. If all these factors did not match against a higher qualification we would not advise an MCSE, or its equivalent, in that instance.

Kate Lilley
    NITLC

7. Gcaddy

Gcaddy New Member

Im probably about 16 months late on this post but feel i have something to add ref the NITLC.

Firstly the last paragraph of Kate Lilleys (from the NITLC) last post simply isnt true. I was sold (or mis sold in my opinion) a course around 3 years ago with the NITLC (£5000 for a package to take me to what was MCSE level at the time). Apart from owning a PC and a Laptop I had no other skills or experience at that time but was looking for a career change. I was told it would help to be in the IT industry but not essential to pass the whole course as the (so calledd support) should get me through the course.

For the first part the course was great. The A+ and Network+ course was helpfull allthough possibly not required as the exams were relativley straight foward.

That however is where the possitives end. Due to the economic climate it wasnt possible to get a job in the IT industry. I have a degree and lots of customer services experience but there were limited oportunities. Therefore i had to complete the course with the Books they sent and very little else. I was offered to be able to go in for 1-2-1 support and use there transcender exams which I took up on one occasion. This turned out to be a waste of petrol money as the 1-2-1 support (Suplied by Reese for reference) was no more than asking me where I though I needed help and bring me more things to read. Ive been reading stuff for months it really didnt help.

I continued on my own with no contact with the NITLC apart from limited reply's to my emails passing a few exams and failing a few.

I eventually due to the imenent arival of my 2nd child decided I needed to give up the course but thought rather than lose the money id spent asked the NITLC to use my Exam vouchers to retake the Exams id failed and asked for the remaining books from the course to be send to me.

This apparently was to much to ask for. I have essentially been told I will have to extend my course (at extra cost i would imagine) if I want and will have to pay to retake the exams ive failed. This means throwing good money after bad so ive decided I have no option than to walk away.

David Greenwood, student support at the NITLC will not even reply to my emails to discuss this, as ive shown no interest in suplying them with more money they are simply not interested.

In Summary to get where I am now I could of soend a few £100 on books nad a few £100 on exams and got to where I am for less than £1500. Using the NITLC ive spent £5000 o get the the same place although to be fair they provided a pointless and very basic course.

My advice dont be fooled by their sales people, self study will be equally as easy for most people, dont wast your money, I wish I had researched this (and im sure other simily as bad TP's) and saved a lot of money.

Good luck all on your certifications

Ps If anyone from the NITLC is reading this and wants to reply great, David Greenwood will know who I am, he has a number of unreplied messages in his inbox but for clarity my name is Gareth Cadwallader.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What more did you expect from them? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs