Nice to meet you all.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by happymagik, Oct 5, 2007.

1. happymagik

happymagik New Member

Hi, im tryng to get in to IT networking (preferably) but just need any experience i can get. I am quite up to speed with XP and office apps as well as many hardware configs like PC building etc and am currently studying for my CCNA. If anyone could give me any infomation about carer paths etc i would be very grateful.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Do you have any real world experience of IT?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF. You, most likely, will have to start at the bottom (eg helpdesk, etc) before you can move into networking, even with the CCNA :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As others have already stated, if you don't yet have real-world experience, you should start with something other than CCNA. I'd recommend the A+ and Network+ certifications to start.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome

My advice is what others have said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. happymagik

happymagik New Member

Thanks for the replys. Im fairley new with the IT qualifications and was assured that this was the way forward (college carers adviser) and would now seem this was not quite as accurate as it could have been http://www.certforums.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
    :rolleyes:
    As ive paid for it etc ill just finish it and hope for the best. What does anyone suggest for jobs in support in regards to where to start etc.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well the careers advisor needs to go and do some research and needs to be strung up for suggesting CCNA as your 1st certification.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. happymagik

happymagik New Member

Speaking to you gents (or ladies) it seems that way .... Im finding the course quite straight forward at the moment but do you feel there are quicker ways in to IT via support etc? and if so what qualifications do employers look for?

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep do the A+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're looking for shortcuts, you're wasting your time, because there are no shortcuts up the career ladder. Start out with an entry-level job and build experience. There's no magic certification that's going to give you an instant boost into a networking job.

If you are interested in finding out ways to be more attractive to employers who offer entry-level jobs, I'd suggest getting the A+ certification. That'll give you an advantage over those who have neither experience nor the certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!