Next step...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITMatt, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

I have recently completed the CompTIA A+ certification and gained employment as a 2nd/3rd line support technician for a large banking organization. I'm currently 22 years old with four years experience within an IT support role. I will be doing a part-time BSc (Hons) degree in Information and Communications Technology starting this January to give me additional knowledge to help with future employment.

At this present time, I have no plans for moving jobs and would like to stay with this company for a good 4-5 years whilst gaining additional qualifications and experience. In the future, I would like to progress more to the networking/security side in a senior technical role.

What is the next step in regards to certifications/qualifications/experience in order to reach my initial goal?

On a side note, I am considering emmigrating to Canada/Russia (still deciding, but learning French and Russian in the mean time) as an IT professional. How is the job industry in these countries and what would help? Again, I have several years before I will be doing anything here.

Thanks

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you need to consider advancing your certification path towards something which is globally recognised and vendor specific. The two common ones are CCNA (if you are actively working with Cisco kit) and or some Microsoft certs.

Try to keep whatever certs you attain, in line with the actual job role you are doing or the role which you have your eye on moving into.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member