Newby wants Certificate advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ColdWarz, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ColdWarz

ColdWarz New Member

Just joined the community and I have a couple of questions that have probobly been answered about 10 times before but here goes:

1.) I am studying for the MCSE 2003. Should I do this or wait until Server 2008 is out and do this and Vista client modules or stick with the server 2003 and XP client?

2.) From all of your collective experiences how much time, generally, does it take to complete a module and be ready to take the exam?

Finally:

3.) Can anyone provide info on study guides, etc?

All help and advice appreciated.

James

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon

Certifications: 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

What experience do you have?, as you shouldnt go for MCSE untill you have at least 6 months experience in the real world.

Also MCSE 2000 have just been retired so MCSE 2003 will be around for a long time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ColdWarz

ColdWarz New Member

Hello, cheers for replying. I've been working in IT about 6 years! Been using XP Pro since it came out and have used server2003 for about a year! 2000 for about 3 years before that.

Certifications: 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to the forums.

If you are studying for the MCSE 2003 and attain it, then in order to become and MCSE 2008 you just need to do an upgrade exam. I am not sure if it's one or two exams but before going from 2000 to 2003 it was one exam. So you're not really missing out on anything.

Here is the thing, to be MCSE microsoft wants its candidates to have at least one year of experience in administering a network with a certain size of the company. This information you can find here.

A lot of members on this forum would highly recommend that you get this experience before attempting an MCSE. Who knows since you have 6 years experience you might have enough experience you do the MCSA. Also achieving the MCSE does not guarantee you a job.

Regarding the time it takes to complete the exam, that really depends on the user's knowledge and experience. Every person is different. I am sure that for you to do the 270, 271, 272 or even 290 shouldn't be too difficult because you have years of experience.

As for study guides, if it is 270 that you are starting off with, I would recommend the Microsoft Press book. They have theory and practice, so it will help you a lot.

Good luck on the studies:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) If you've been doing this sort of stuff for 6 years, do you really have to ask? Companies are still using Windows 2000, and the MCSE: Windows 2000 certification hasn't yet retired... demand for Windows Server 2003-certified techs will be strong for many years to come.

2) I would be doing you a disservice if I told you how long YOU should study for each exam. Everyone's situation is different... knowledge, ability to retain information, amount of time available, other responsibilities, etc. What takes me one year to study might take someone else one day... and vice versa. Study until you understand the concepts completely, then take the exam. There is no "average". Study until you're ready.

3) For Microsoft exams, I recommend MSPress and Sybex.

Welcome, and best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, as you have been given sound advise already. Best wishes:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome

I'll leave your question to the more inteligent members of this forum :tune

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ahem 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hi Coldwarz.

There is a link to a topic about self study guides on my signature, talking about signature you can edit yours if you goto your user cp instead of typing one.

Welcome to the forums too.

Hope i helped.

Certifications: A+, N+