Newbie looking for new career

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by se99paj, May 31, 2006.

1. se99paj

se99paj New Member

Hello all, I've been reading a few posts on here and the advice sounds really useful so I wanted to tax your brains on a problem that I have.

So I'm a 25yo mechanical engineer, but at the moment I'm not really doing any engineering, I'm bored with the daily grind and would like to get a job that I'm interested in, instead of just doing to get a paycheque.

I've been interested in computers for a while, unfortunately it was during university after I decided to do a mechanical engineering degree.

The main part of computing that I am interested in is fixing problems, I have done it numerous times in the past fixing neighbours PC's or upgrading PC's. I find it interesting and enjoyable, I'll be up until all hours trying to fix the problem. So I figured why not try and make a career out of it.

I know there are numerous training centres around the UK, most cost a fortune but I suppose that is the price you have to pay, unless you teach yourself.

I have asked to get some details from the training centres, unfortunately they have to be distance learning as I still want to work as I train. So I have contacted computeach and the ntlc. But I would like to look at the self-learning but have no idea where to start, or will companies not like me as much if I am self taught. Alos what books should I look into?? what qualifications should I try and get first??

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF. The best advice is to have a good look around the forums. Sounds like the A+ would be right up your street and fortunately if you choose to, it's a great one to self study. Have a good look in the Training & Development forum and also the A+ forum, they would be good places to start.

One of our members recently put together an excellent post about how to go about the self study route for some of the more popular certs. It also has a rough breakdown of the kind of costs you can expect. Check it out here

There are some cheap alternatives to self study if it's not something you think is right for you. Plenty of college's offer tutor lead IT Pro training courses now. Certainly the local college to me does and you would expect to pay a few hundred for an evening course which includes the price of taking the exams.

Learndirect training centre's offer some courses oriented towards A+ and Windows XP etc... They are usually free or low cost. They don't lead to a qualification but you should be able to go on to take it after doing one of the courses ...

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. Personally, i would say the A+ (by Comptia) is a great place to start. It will give you a very broad foundation of computing both in hardware and Operating system configuration.
    You can get the objectives from www.comptia.org
    There are loads of great books availible from Amazon. I would recommend Mike Myers All in One A+ Certification. Grab this and an old computer to break and fix and you are on your way. (should you decide to do the A+, that is)
    Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ill just echo and say the A+ first up... oh and Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF :biggrin

6. se99paj

se99paj New Member

Thanks for the quick response guys, it is much appreciated.
    I read the post about self study routes and found it really informative, it seems to make so much sense when you look at how much it will cost compared other companies costs.
    I've also had a look at some local colleges, there is a college within spitting distance of my workplace, unfortunately they start the course in February, even then its on Friday mornings which is a little tricky for me as I'll be at work.

I think self study is going to be the best way forward, only because I won't be set to fixed dates.

I'll probab;y be on here in a few weeks asking about exam centres next where I can get certified.

7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF [​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hi mate - Welcome to CF...