Newbie looking for advice!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jonny_Guitar, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Jonny_Guitar

Jonny_Guitar New Member

Hi guys,

I know this query has been made a thousand times before, but I'm looking for advice on how to enter a career in IT. Basically, I'm what you might call a high-level user - I've been working in database support for the sales department of a medium-sized company, until redundancy struck out of the blue, and now I'd like to take the opportunity to pursue a career in IT. I've always loved working and playing with computers, and would like to get 'behind the scenes', and get into network administration and that kind of thing.

So basically I'd love some advice on the best ways of getting trained... I've been given the hard sell from a sales rep (sorry, I mean 'Learning Advisor') from Computeach, which has put me off that particular firm, but has not necessarily put me off distance learning in general. Any advice would be more than welcome!

Thanks very much,

Jonny

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Jonny,

As you rightly say, that is one of our most commonly asked questions. If you haven't already, spend some time nosing around this Forum, then when you feel you have an idea of what you want to study, look around those forums too.

In the meantime, thanks for joining CertForums - why not drop a quick post in the New Members Forum.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I wrote a nice article on where I see the industry heading in the near future, you may wish to read that to guage what may be popular in the future, I have experianced myself getting a certification that was 'big' only to find it over subscribed once i had obtained it

you seem to have a solid grasp, which means the A+ may not be a requirement for you, but you may wish to do it all the same, if you wish to go the microsoft track you then have numerous options (you may consider the MCDBA as you have already done an ammount of database administration)

what are your definative aims/goals within the IT industry? where do you see yourself going? what do you enjoy the most about IT?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Jonny_Guitar

Jonny_Guitar New Member

I think what I enjoy most about IT is solving problems, and finding the best way of getting results. That's why I like messing around with databases. I'm pretty adept at picking up new software - when I was working the customer service division of a now-defunct high street .com division, I was given the task of training 30 people in using a horrendous piece of web-based e-mail software.

Having said that, its not the road I can really see myself going down any further - I think I'd like to take my potential and skills, and go down the networking route. I'm fairly sure that, with a bit of hard work, I could really thrive. I'd need to start with A+ because my hardware knowledge is fairly limited. I had a meeting today with a sales guy from NITLC, with a view to the A+, Network+, MCSA, MCSE path. 4 grand, though - gulp!

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Jonny Guitar. Welcome. I know that Computeach has been the subject of a number of threads lately. Since I'm from the other side of the pond, I don't know anything about them but you might want to take some time to review the subject in this forum and the New Members Forum to see what's been said. Four Gs does seem steep.

I assume that you've reviewed the basic requirements for the various certs you'd mentioned and that it's the direction you want to pursue. One thought I had looking at your background was to echo Phoenix's suggestion and consider a MCDBA Just a thought but DBAs make a huge amount of money. Since you have experience in that arena, you might want to take a look at that link (unless you hate it, of course). You might also consider something in an Oracle cert. Just a thought.

On the other hand, if you want to go the traditional route and you feel you need to get a hands-on basic PC hardware cert, the A+ is certainly the place to start. You can take a look at our A+ forum including the QOTDs and see what you think. Feel free to ask anything that comes to mind. Good luck Jonny...and welcome aboard.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats almost 8 Gs to you and me mate :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Even more for me!

Certifications: CCNA