newbie in need of advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Scousered, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Scousered

Scousered New Member

Hello ppl,
    Im really in need of some guidance, i feel that i am pretty handy round a computer i upgrade my own i can basically do the basics installing o/s etc.
    Im now looking to get into the computer industry as it really intrests me so ive been lookin to do a learn from home course. the one i was looking at was the one nitlc offers mcse course as this gives u a wide range of quals at the end of it.

Has any1 had any dealings with nitlc are they any good?

Is learning from home a good idea? (iwould put the time in)

Is it worth the money i.e support learning materials etc

What would my carrer prospects be like as i know i wouldnt be able to dive straight in to network engineer but would i be able to get other jobs without any experiance in the computer industry?

Thanks for your time ppl
    newbie in need :lol:

2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi There....

I havent heard of the company you mention that is running your MCSE course, so i cant really comment. But i would advise that you find out as much as you can about them and their quality of course etc.

The MCSE will give you some good knowledge and the course *should* provide you with some good hands on.

I've done all but one of my certifications using "home learning". If your willing to put in the time and effort you will suceed, and even after the cost of a book or two and the exam you will probably have saved yourself a few hundred £.... (but you need a job or home lab where you can get some hands on to really reinforce the topics).

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it will be easy for you to get into the IT industry as competition these days can be tough, but if you have the drive and determination you will suceed.

There are jobs out there for someone in your position, usually something along an entry level position such as helpdesk or a junior position to start.

I'd strongly advise doing some work for friends from home, volunteering for a charity or for the community. Anything to build up a portfolio of experience.

Alot of people here are either in the IT industry by working hard or are in your boat and trying to get in, either way your find the people here willing to help you out wherever possible.

So good luck, feel free to ask any more questions and let us know how it goes or what you decide!

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

If you are looking for some advise on the company providing your course, although their website would be a good place to start, i'd advise looking for peoples opinions on the net or here (and other boards) who have actually trained with them.

If someone has some praise or is disgruntled with them, i'm sure they would have posted somewhere, hell if they are that good or bad they might even have some web sites dedicated to praising or exposing them.

Do a little research and let us know!

Matt

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Scousered,

Good to see someone else on the Cert Trail. I like many others here used Nitlc, and found them a very good, reliable and helpful provider. They are expensive, though (as I believe many are for the MCSE) but that covers materials, several workshops and all your exams (first sit, anyway)

If you are confident in home study, then you could buy the stuff yourself, then use the net as your "Tutors" - it's up to your own abilities, really.

For more info on Nitlc, visit HERE

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

To expand on your question a bit, let's take a brief look at different study methods. We can break it down into three:

Self-Study with books/internet
    Home-Study with formal internet course
    Classroom Study

I think it pretty much comes down to experience and comfort level with a bit of learning style thrown in. If you knew absolutely nothing about computers and networks and felt pretty uncomforable about even opening up a PC (like I was when I first started), then I'd recommend the most structured environment which would be Classroom/Instructor Led. Plenty of expert advice and support.

Home study with an internet course usually means you have to set up your own home lab but do get a structured learning environment...it just wouldn't be "live". You'd have to have a certain amount of independence but you could still "fly with a net". You also would have to be able to learn via text and graphics and without the time honored "lecture model". If you need someone to actually talk to you, this method might be difficult.

Home study with books and the internet. Well...no net. You not only have to set up your own home lab but you have to be responsible for researching your own study materials, both in text and online. Sites like this help because they contain (ideally) folks with more experience who can answer questions and help with problem solving. There are however, less structured so you'll have to provide most of that yourself. Even textbooks, although by nature they contain structure, still require you to read and learn the material, apply it to a lab situation and gain the skills necessary to pass certification exams and impress someone enough to hire you.

Disadvantages of home study: the big one is no degree. Certifications (most of them) expire and must be renewed. A college degree is forever and (again ideally) testifies that you've met an objective standard in order to be degreed. The certs add on to this.

Three legs to getting a job in IT:

experience
    certifications
    degree

Experience is the most important, IMHO. Certifications help and while you can get away without a formal degree, you have more of an uphill climb.

This is an in-a-nutshell explanation. It can get a lot more detailed but I decided not to torture everyone. Hope it helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi Scousered and welcome to the forum.

I am currently training with Nitlc and find them to be very good, always there when you need help and the workshops that they provide really do help just before you sit an exam.

You have not yet mentioned what area of IT you are interested in, I only ask as if it's web design then MCSE is not for you, give us a little more info and I'm sure we will be able to give you a little more information.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

There is some great advise hear for you, although i preach about home study, i agree that if you can afford it classroom training (with a reputable company) is the way to go.

(I was bitten once by a training company so excuse me if i'm a bit wary of them!)

Whatever way you choose to go keep us updated and ask us any questions you need to.

Matt

8. Scousered

Scousered New Member

hello ppl sorry i havent replied been away so havent been able to check, thanks for the advice ppl, the carrer i was looking to get into was network administrator eventually but i know i would have to start at bottom so i would prob be looking for support at first then as as i said i would eventually want to get to network admin.

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

You could get lucky and land a junior admin gig, but you would have to be in the right place, right time, so its good you have a level head and have you sights set on support first.

Let us know how it goes and keep at it!

Remember to network with as many people as possible! Keep those options open!

Matt

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi Scousered, while I think the MCSE is worth getting I would consider thinking about doing your A+ first. For one there is a lot of work and study to do for the MCSE and it doesn't come cheap. A lot of local colleges do the A+ for pretty cheap and its a good course to lead onto something like Network+ and MCP/MCSA/MCSE. I wouldn't bite off more than you can chew as you may be in for a shock at the level of work involved. I just bought the 4 foundation books and that comes to around 4000 pages then there is another 3 books to go after that.

I'm not trying to put you off doing it but 7 exams and a load of study is hard to be motivated for for a long time. What I did is to sit down and work out a natural progression from the easiest and most basic qualification to the more advanced.

The route I choose was A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, MCP,MCSA, MCSE.

The good thing about the A+, Network+, Server+, Security+ is that some of them count towards gaining your MCSA & MCSE.

I hope this helps. As mentioned by otther people it is getting increasingly harder to get into the IT industry (Took me a long time due to lack of commercial experience) so be prepared to take a junior role with pathetic wages but at the end of the day see it as a stepping stone onto better things in the future. Good luck and I hope this helps in whatever you choose to do.

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

Hi scousered

I'm more or less in the same boat as you. i'm doing an mcse with a distant learning provider and trying to get my foot in the door on the IT industry.

I plan to take take my first MCSE exams in the near future although ive been studying for more or less two years now. To be completely honest i really wouldn't reccommend a distant learning MCSE as there is alot more work involved than you would first think. Unless youre motivated, and i mean really motivated you will find it very difficult to progress. If you think you can can get through it then don't let me put you off because of my bad experience. I would say though, check out how much support they are going to give you, because i paid a hell of a lot of money for my course, and for the support ive had i might as well have done the course off my own back and saved a couple of grand!

With regards to starting a career in IT i started working for a technical helpdesk for a popular ISP about 6 months ago and all seems to be going well(promotion to 2nd line support). so if there are any helpdesks around go for it as being an mcse student makes you quite employable for 1st or 2nd line support. Its just the next step in the industry thats the hard one!

Prestd

12. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Hi Scousered :)

I was lucky as I landed my job (ICT Technician) without having any experience and was still at college finishing my HND in computing :blink

I got it because I was enthusiastic and determined :D After a week of being there, I was running the place due to the Network Manager being off sick. I am still running the place as he hasn't returned yet :rolleyes: (he went off sick on the 12th March!) and its brilliant :) I am certainly learning loads (case of having to and rather quickly Lol) and get a great deal of support from here :iluvcf Thanx again guys :hug
    I couldn't have managed a self study course, as although I have the determination, I lack the disapline
    Good luck with whatever you decide :)