Newbie and looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by nemo, Jul 14, 2010.

1. nemo

nemo New Member

Hi all

Nice to meet you all, I was wandering if anyone could help me I am looking to obtain a certification in websign but also looked into MCSE but can't make up may mind on which to go for? I want something which has a good career path which I can earn good money in. I have a pretty good understanding in windows and apple products but stuck on what to do please can someone offer good advice on what path to take.

P.S it's nice to have a forum like his for help and advice.

Thanks in advance :)

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

It is a field where you can eventually earn good money, but it isnt an easy path, so if you arent afraid to start from the bottom and work up then IT may be a good career choice.

But it requires time and dedication, there are easier careers out there that wont eat up your free time when it comes to study and learning.

I would start off with A+ and the MCDST and look at getting a support job (preferably in house support not a call centre) then look at working your way up

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

TBH it's like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are completely different in skills requirements and job definitions.

Before you do any kind of certification you really need to decide on a track that you want to go down.

I am an MCSE but my web design skills are pretty non-existant, it actually doesn't interest me any further than using something like Netobjects Fusion or Serif Web+.

As far as money goes, you can get decent wages with either skills but obviously it does depend on your experience and ability. The better you are as either, the more money you can expect to earn.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The MCSE isnt a cert for someone looking to get into IT. The MCSE is designed for people are already systems engineers and have been doing the job for atleast 12-18 month.

As for web design there's CIW but not many employers care or know about it. What they want is to see your portfolio and what you can do.

You need to make up your mind which path either support or design you want and also your about 15 years to late to be making good money from your first IT job.

As said you will need to start at the bottom and work your way up.

A+,N+ and MCDST should be your starting point.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nemo

nemo New Member

Thank you for all your advice!

I am thinking about my options now i seem to be more favouring web design as I feel that I enjoy it more. does anyone know who does good courses in surrey for a good price I work full time as well so I wouldn't mind an evening or an intensive course.

:cheers

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!