1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's been a couple of weeks or so and I thought It would be nice to drop you all an update.

1st is 1st and I got my employer to fund my MCDST study, so there's one good thing. It's going alright ,just started a few days back on the 70-271 press good and it didn't look that big in the display picture on Amazon haha. :p

It is amazing how much stuff you can take for granted and the stuff you don't know because, lets face it, it never happens.

2nd: I am also doing 1 day a week at a college studying towards a CCNA (paid for by my employer). this is going to take some time and is starting with some CISCO IT Essentials Courses just to get the class to the same level, then it advances onto the relevant training.

With regards to my actual work. . . . it's going good I think, I enjoy the company, it's a laugh, I get to do a varied amount of things and don't just answer the phone and pass it on, doing server backups, arranging server things via symantec backup exec, fiddling around with some software sniffing program that finds out who has what on everyone's computer.

really gained experience on troubleshooting problems though, I mean ****, when you get a call saying "I can login but my desktop won't load", CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work to load explorer.exe, safe mode works but you cant un-install programs you think may be causing the problem, it really makes ya think "What the bloody hell am I supposed to work out" haha.

All part of the learning curve, though in fairness, the problem could of been any piece of software.

Thanks for listening guys

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Glad it's going well for you matey :) Sounds pretty much like my current scenario. :p

I've also started on the MCDST route. You may wish to check out Arroryn's study blog for the MCDST which you can find here.

Best of luck and keep us updated :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Regardless of what the problem eventually turns out to be, experiencing the whole troubleshooting process over and over and over is what builds our experience. Even after almost a decade in IT, I'd still encounter desktop support issues that I'd never seen before. But past troubleshooting experience gives you a "feel" for what might work (and what won't likely work), even when you haven't seen the exact problem before. Sure, you may only see a problem once and never again... or you may study about something in the MCDST that you may never see... but gaining all of that knowledge and experience will most definitely help you in the future, if only because it helped hone your troubleshooting skills and logic.

It sounds like you'll be getting some great experience there! Congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!