new to the forums

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sgtgeneraljohn, Jul 1, 2011.

1. sgtgeneraljohn

sgtgeneraljohn New Member

thought i would join as i am studying the mcts 70-680 windows 7 the only thing i hate is why do i need a cert to get my foot in the door if i have the experence and a uni degree it defeats the purpose i smell a rat

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately degree's count for naff all in most IT jobs.

How much experience have you got, and in which job / environment?

There are no rats - you won't get an electricians job without a sparky certification...

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There are numerous debates on here regarding degrees vs certification and how experience trumps both. I suggest you do a forum search and read up.
    Welcome to CF and good luck with your future aspirations 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

As you may be aware, sometimes experience alone doesn't get you the job. If they have two or three similar candidates then the one with some certs on his CV is the one who will stand out. I don't have a uni degree, but my experiences in the military and so far in the civilian side have gotten me far. However, I've begun the cert path in order to gain knowledge and bolster my resume. The way I see it, you have to do everything you can to show up the next guy in this environment. It can only help you to attain some certifications, imho. Anyway, welcome to the forums and good luck with your studies!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. sgtgeneraljohn

sgtgeneraljohn New Member

hi everyone
    worked 2 years in retail doing desktop support windows xp been working with computers for years since 98 when i got my first computer in my first college year have experence in call centre 2 years and 4 in self stacking ie skivvy job
    domestic when at college for money and desktop support for friends and family for over 6 years
    installed server 2000 in college/2003 at home setup a remote account and was remote connecting in to it for experence but that counts for nothing compared to the amount times i have installed windows xp
    currently looking in to geting voluntary work from agency in talks now i allways learn by doing the job even if it for free lmao
    any of you work in a corperate environment just asking what you do on a daily basis

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Might be worth posting your CV to see if we can help you out in that respect (obviously remove personal and company details :) )

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You dont specifically need any certs to get your foot in the door, really you should be pplying for every desktop support role that comes along to get on the first rung of the ladder.

Tailor your CV to show your customer experience, and commerical IT experience, some people end up doing some level of IT support even though their job description doesnt match, it is worth including if this is the case.

Employers aren't at all interested if you fix PCs for friends, for one thing working in a domain enviroment on the phone with strangers while the person on the other end of the phone is losing productivity is a whole different kettle of fish, but they are interested in being a people who are a "studying off their own back" kinda person, so if that is you and your CV is a bit thin to start with, then maybe a section listing the technologies you are practising with in your own home lab may be of interest in your training section.

All this needs to be tailored to the roles you apply for, no point putting I have labbed Server 2008, Hyper-V and AD server when all you will be doing is desktop support for XP machines (unless the ad says along the lines of promote from within environment).

Good luck anyway

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal