New to say thank you !

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by charliezak, Dec 14, 2009.

1. charliezak

charliezak New Member

Hi everyone
    Been reading some of the posts on here for a while now as have been thinking of doing a training course to get into IT
    Have found the information contained here very helpfull so thought i ought to register
    Self study seems to be quite a common theme here but worry a bit about how much weight a qualification obtained on your own will hold with potential employers when i have no experience
    Am looking to move into the industry with an entry level job and i understand that entry level means by definition someone with no experience but will an employer look more favourably on someone who has gained the relevant qualifications via a training course?
    Any help and advice gratefully recieved !!!!!

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Whether you gain your cert(s) through self study or a TP, the amount of 'real world' experience you have will be the same - but you'll have more money left in your pocket if you've self studied.

When I started out, I initially went with a TP, but fortunately they went bust early on into the course. I say fortunately, because it soon became apparent that I'd paid my money just for someone to read from a book, and I'm quite capable of doing that myself, without shelling out loads of cash!

What it did though, was it made me realise that I could do this on my own. I could buy the manuals ( MSPress/Sybex etc - which, by the way, were better that the TP's), read and do the practical labs and then use the practice exams to ready myself for the exam.

I landed my first IT job with next to no 'real world' experience, and fortunately the company that hired me were looking for someone to train up from the bottom. So there are places out there that will hire people with little 'real world' experience.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA