New to IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sarahbee, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sarahbee

sarahbee New Member

Hello,

My questions begin!! :wink:

I currently work in Admin ( :sleeping ) generally just as a Temp, I don’t have any IT experience or qualifications (although I do know what parts of a computer are what). I was going to enrol on Computer Maintenance and Installation (A + ®) OCR Level 2 Certificate at my local college in September, It’s a part time course lasting 24 weeks. What I am aiming for is a Technician role, hoping to start off in maybe a Help Desk job. Admin is so dull and really not for me so think IT would be a more fun and a hands on challenging role.

Before I enrol on the course I want to make it sure it’s the best route to take, I can only study part time (Evening) and am not very good with self study!

Any help and tips would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks

Sarah

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes the 3 or 4 main entry level/tier 1 certs to go for (on the support side) would be the A+, Network+, MCDST and the MCTS Vista.

You could try studying for the A+ on your own and then book the exams yourself, however not everyone wants to self study and by doing it thru the college you also get the OCR qualification (so a two in one bonus).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security