New to IT Need some Advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by Lorri, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Lorri

Lorri New Member

Hi every1,

Im new to this site and need some help b4 i tear my hair out.

Currently hold a BSc and do analytical chemistry - im fed up and interested in IT. Need a total change.

Im lookin at direct learning centre Comptia A+ it would cost about £600.

I have a standard grade and a higher in computing would this help???

Ive no idea what direction to take, but think a computer technician would be good. what kinda money could you be making and how long would the studying take? Any useful info would be good!!!

Hope some1 can help x

Certifications: BSc Chemistry
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You do not need to do a course with anyone really, but if you prefer that is up to you.

I would recommend self studying for CompTIA A+ certification whilst looking for an entry level job.

Salaries are not that good for entry level positions but they rise with experience.

If get compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 6th edition and PC Technician Street smarts by James Pyles to study with, once you are confident book the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Lorri and welcome to CF:). I would advise you get the books and a computer or two and start studying for the A+. You'd learn lots as well as save money too. The days of making lots of money in IT is not the same today with lots of jobs being outsourced to third world countries for cheap.

Well all is not dome though, as with an entry level helpdesk type role you could command from £14K to £16K pa. This is just an approximation as it might be less and would increase with experience as well as skills gained over the years. Again with location the above varies.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I have a BS in Chemistry, and never used it... got an IT job and never looked back.

Good advice has already been given... salaries start low, but they'll rise as you gain experience. I took a job as a field service tech making $22,000 over a job washing test tubes making $25,000... but I advanced past that salary in short order. Not sure I'd have done as well, trying to "prove myself" through washing test tubes!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

second attempt, just had a power cut and the auxiliary doesn't cover the plugs :(

Before you decide what course you want to do you need to look at what you actually want to do in IT. You've got to ask your self what do you like about IT ? will it pay well enough to warrant the change ? and do you have the determination to see it through ?

Most people start off in some sort of help desk job to gain experience and then move on from there, as stated the pays not good but with enough experience and certs you'll soon work your way off the bottom and start earning some good money :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Lorri. I'd say that if you have a uni degree in Chemistry, you can probably get a book or two, a couple of old PCs and self-study for the A+ exam. Should be a tad less expensive than paying for a course. If you look through this forum or do a search, you'll find the resources we typically recommend here. If you don't, feel free to ask and we'll post them again. Cheers. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi and welcome, I agree with everyone else even though its not what I'm doing,(wish I had though (5K lighter)) and self study the A+ as its a lot cheaper and if you later decide to take it further and feel you would rather go with a learning centre you can look into it more, unless of course you enjoy self study and do all the courses that way:)

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  8. Lorri

Lorri New Member

Hey there!

Thanks for comments. Ive went over all the PC components already and enjoying it. Just starting to get in to Laptops + portable devices. Hoping to self study all the way and pass exams - do you have to take two exams together? As the material seems all mixed in. (601/602) Also I read somewhere the next dates for exam are March 08 - How early should I book? Not 100% which route Im going to go down yet. Sounds like I should keep in touch with you - I can see you've done a few courses! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc Chemistry
    WIP: A+
  9. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

Self study really is the way - especially if you can set up a small and cheap lab at home. Most courses are far too expensive and do not teach you anything you couldnt learn at home alone in most cases.

Certifications: JNCIA-FWV, LPIC 2, SCSA, CMA, 70-271
    WIP: 70-272
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You use test centres either pearson vue or prometric to book your exams if you visit their website you'll find which one has a centre near you, you do not have to take the exams together, you could take one tommorow and one next year if you wanted to.

If you visit the site I mentioned you will get all the info on there.

And you are correct the 601 and 602 are sort of intertwinde but are classed as two seperate exams, they used to be called Essentials and Hardware but now its just Essentials and IT Technician designation.

Keep us informed of how you go.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?