New to I.T

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by macattack007, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not really mate, IT hasn’t been well resourced for years in many companies and there just isn’t any further room for cutbacks.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I know what you mean, far too many firms see IT as an overhead rather than tool to be taken advantage of and it's easy to cancel a hardware refresh or a software upgrade when your competitors are doing the same, this has a trickle down effect to the IT firms that provide these services. What worries me is the big players like IBM, HP and Fujitsu are still cutting back. :eek:

Whatever happens once companies start investing to gain a competitive edge the scramble should see it take off quite nicely.:D

3. Sparky

Yes, that is true.

Looking over the year things have been ok from what work I have been doing although a few customers did go under which was a shame.

The problem is that many companies have cancelled their hardware refresh (like you said) which means more support work for an already stretched IT department supporting old kit.

I still wouldn’t discourage anyone wanting to get into IT, it is a competitive market but can be rewarding if you put the work in and with a little bit of luck thrown in. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I did say to the OP (in a PM) that he may do well to learn a bit on the side in preparation for any upturn. The trouble is IT still has a bit of a 'gravy train' image for those who don't work within it and who can blame them when the likes of Computeach are still advertising "Become an IT professional... and earn over £33,000* p.a." on their front page without explaining just how hard you'll have to work to get to that level.

I just want people to know what's realistic so they don't get burned.

5. Sparky

Yeah, thats fair enough. I think some people may think they will be installing Cisco routers on day one! :biggrin