New to CIW

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Arnge, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Arnge

Arnge New Member

Hey i am a new member here, and i was thinking of taking the CIW exam.

first of all what tools do i need .

i mean i use macromedia fireworks, Adobe photoshop, Mac. Dream waver.

microsoft Frontpage,Swish and some other program plus some HTML knowledge.

so what do i need more ? and where can i get the books and stuff to study ?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You don't actually need any tools to pass the CIW exams.
    They are product neutral and don't teach a particular way of doing things.
    However, I would question the validity of passing the exams without doing a bit of messing around to see what you can come up with.

The official course materials can be found from computerprep, but they are expensive. Try searching amazon, there isn't a lot, but you can find some good stuff.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Arnge

Arnge New Member

Well thank you , but i meant some web materials .

like PDF files and laps. if you tell me the course guide line i think i can get them online my self.

4. Maxelcat

Maxelcat Bit Poster

I got all my materails for Foudations and Site designer (one of the eight courses from the next level) for £800. This was from a college in London - I do the foundations as home studey (with email/phone support) and the Site designer with 1-1 2hr tuition sessions and lab work at the college.

Just about to do the foundation exam, and I have to say its proved really worth whilte.

The best thing is that I got the actaul CIW v5 folders. I think some of the more expensive course give you a load of "Their own" stuff.....

I didn't need any extra software, what I needed came with the books.

I was a bit disappointed with how the course spends so much time on stuff that doesn't really seem that relevant to making sites - eg networking, but I guess the idea is to get a good foundation. The xhtml, css bit was 95% old hat to me, and probably will be to you too!

:rolleyes:

Certifications: CIW Associate