New to CCNA!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by aidman, Sep 17, 2006.

1. aidman

aidman New Member

Hello,

I've enrolled myself on the CCNA (at a college following netacad). I do however really want to excel at this course and move onto the CCNP.

I've been searching ebay for a while looking at kit to setup a home lab, its just I'm not totally sure what I should go for... I've been offered the following for £650

2600 Router (ethernet, serial, ISDN, 12.3 IP Plus Security IOS)
    2600 Router (ethernet, serial, ISDN, 12.3 IP IOS)
    2500 Router (ethernet, 2 serial, 12.3 IP Plus IOS)
    2500 Router (4 serial, ISDN, 12.3 IP Plus IOS)
    2900XL (24 port fast ethernet, Enterprise IOS)
    2900XL (24 port fast ethernet, Enterprise IOS)
    ISDN PBX Switch
    All cables, accessories, training CDs

What do people think to the setup, will it be good for the CCNA, can it be upgraded when I move to the CCNP - The only items I'm not totally sure about are this switches, I've heard that the 2950s are the way to go, its just a shame there is a huge price difference.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Aidman :D

Certifications: Bsc(Hons), HND
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

The equipment would be fine for your CCNA and on to your CCNP. As for the price, there are many vendors on eBay offering CCNA/CCNP kits, compare prices to see if you are getting good value. The equipment you listed will give you plenty of hands-on practice.

Check to see exactly what model the routers are, and how much flash/ram they have, as it is always good to be able to upgrade the IOS later on to work on more advanced areas.

Good luck with your studies, and have fun playing around with the routers ;)

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  3. rowley73

rowley73 Bit Poster

How do you source a new or an upgraded version of cisco ios.

Almost clarified in the post below.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11203&highlight=ios

4. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Good point rowley73, I forgot about the difficulty in getting various IOS versions. Here at work I handle most of the Cisco jobs, and as we have contracts I simply download whatever version I need.

Best to make sure the vendor will sell you the routers with the IOS versions you want. Remember that you can always copy IOS from one router to another. In fact, be sure to back up your IOS, it makes practicing IOS changes much less stressful. :)

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  5. rowley73

rowley73 Bit Poster

Thanks for clearing that up spice_weasel. One of my routers has ios version 12.3(12), that should cover everything I need. I'll just copy it across. Cheers. :D