New to all of this! Please help!?!?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gothicbttrfli, Oct 12, 2006.

1. gothicbttrfli

gothicbttrfli New Member

I have just decided to possibly change my major to information technology systems administrator. I have always been facinated by computers but I am not that savy in the A+, Network + and all of the other things. Would someone please give a brief overview of all of this so I can finalize my major change or not. I have tried to look for things online but nothing has been coming up on anything for me.

Thanks!!!:eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network + Security + , etc.
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

CompTia A+ is two exams firstly the hardware, which is learning about how an IBM PC works, RAM CPU I/O addresses, IRQs, CPUs etc. Then the OS part which covers operating systems in an entry level way.

The Net+ covers networking but not from a specific vendors perspective. Things like network topologies, token ring, star, bus etc and protocols TCP/IP, IPX/SPX etc.

I can't go into too much detail as I haven't studied them.

These are considered entry level exams and the prepare you for what is to come if you decide to continue with studying along a more vendor specific route.

The most common choices are either Cisco or Microsoft. Cisco is a manufacturer of hardware devices such as Routers and Switches etc. Their equipment is used by large organisations with large networks. The starting place would be a CCNA.

Microsoft award their MCP status to the vast majority of any of the certifications. The starting place is usually MCP on XP exam 70-270 from there you can progress and take the server exam, then learn about Active Directory etc and work toward MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator) this is four exams but if you have already passed the A+ and the Net+ they count as an elective! You can find out more here

If you want to progress from there, and you plan to design and implement AD in medium to large scale organisations, you can go for MCSE but bear in mind that you should have at least a years hands on experience working with windows server products. The MCSE is seven exams.

Hope that helped :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Start with 70-270: Administering Windows XP.
    I think MS Press can help you in first glance!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  4. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

The A+ and Network+ are the two certs I would do first. Then start getting into the Microsoft MCSA. Get a job after that, and some experience then go on to the MCSE and CCNA.

Do not underestimate the difficulty of the CCNA. Even though it is "Entry" level, it is not an entry level knowledgebase.

The paths you can choose are basically with A+ Net+ work on a helpdesk or break fix tech. With the MCSA, MCSE, CCNA certs you would be a good network admin, systems admin, network operation center analyst ect.

Don't rule out really getting into Unix. Unix admins make tons of money. More difficult stuff though or so I hear.

Just my 2 cents and your mileage may vary.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall