new to a+

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by johnc86, Apr 4, 2006.

1. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

Hi. I am a new member to the forum and like many people on here I am considering a qualification in IT. Also like many others I am considering a+ after recomendations from others. I am currently aged 19 and unemployed following my business not working out. I am verry computer literate and use computers daily and have experiance of fixing them etc. I have the timeon my hands to learn and would likt to know if it is possible to get all the learning resources to learn at home (please feel free to recomend some).

I am still unsure of the way the a+ qualification if sourced and how you go about getting it.

please help me to fill in the gaps! cheers.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. Many people would agree that the A+ is the ideal first cert. To find out more go here
    Good luck. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

You *can* learn A+ at home. You *do* need to go to a centre to take the exam however.

It depends very much on your experience and knowledge how easy you find it to do the home-learning route.

Many here would recomend you getting the Meyers All-In-One book mentioned in the resouces part of this section of the forum.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the Forums:D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Greetings and salutations. Welcome.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Look at the CompTia website for the exam objectives and consider whether gaining the knowledge to achieve those objectives is relevant to your certification path.

If the answer is 'yes' you need to consider your training options as far as training material is concerned.You should look at the most effective training method for your circumstances,that means assessing available time to study,monetary costs of your study materials and paying for the exams.

Self study works well,but it does mean setting aside a lot of quality study time,which it sounds like you have,so this may be your ideal route.

Tutored courses are a good option too,but some can be very costly,so weigh up the pro-s and cons in that respect.

Once you've commited to your certification path you should set yourself a date for your tests,booked through various sources,we'll gladly help you along with that as and when the time comes.

You do not need to register with any oganisation untill you decide on an exam date,at which time you'll buy your test voucher(s) online and use them as payment for your exams with your nearest test centre,easy peasy.

To date,my self study A+ has cost me around £300,paying for the Meyers book,prep exams from several sources,my exam voucher (you'll need 2 for the A+) and so on,just to give you some idea of what you're looking at in monetary terms.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions but if you need to know more then feel free to ask,you'll always find good advice in these forums. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate

8. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Welcome.

If you have a good background in hardware you should be able to pick up the A+ without any need for paid tuition. If you get a good study guide such as the meyers book you will be able to learn it and sit the exam in a few weeks (if you treat it like a full time job and read a chapter a day, whilst doing practical work on a few test machines). Honestly the best advice would be to buy the book and judge for yourself how long you think you need. You may find alot of the material is familiar and you only need to plug gaps, alternatively you may find you know very little about hardware and need to swot up on the technical aspects. Its all relative.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and hope you keep us up to date on your progress.

jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685