New Study Machine Questions - Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nXPLOSi, Jun 9, 2015.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

I know some of you are very experienced in the virtual world so I am hoping you can help me!

I have always used VMWare on my laptop for studying purposes. The laptop runs an i5, 6GB RAM and standard HDD. It has performed pretty well overall for running 1-2 servers and a client over the last few years, but as you can imagine, it's at its limits!

I have picked out a new machine running an i7-4790, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD with a 2TB HDD. It will be running Windows 8.1 Pro and as far as I can tell, the OS and spec support all the requirements to run Hyper-V.

I am aware there are only 8 threads on the i7, but this machine is only for study purposes so the machines won't be running anything too heavy and only running perhaps 3-4 VM's at once. How will the machine stack up? I know it will be a massive improvement in comparison to what I have now, but I don't want to spend out and then find there is a bottleneck holding me back!

Thanks... :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It will be perfectly fine mate, my dedicated esx hosts run 3770 cpus with 32GB of ram off standard spinning tin (via a Synology DS1513+) just fine, I would run the VM's from the 2TB drive first, see how they perform and then if you want move them over to the SSD, just remember that space is a premium with 256GB so you may be better running from spinning tin when you can (all my VM's that I run off my laptop run from the spinning disk rather than SSD because of that reason).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    nXPLOSi likes this.
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks Simon, I'm glad to hear it will do what I'm after!

I think I will look at getting a larger SSD as the plan was to use that to run the VM's on. I'll have a look at the price difference and see if it is worth the extra, if not I'll run off the 2TB drive and see how I get on. I could always add an SSD if required later.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012