New Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 27, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Maybe it's a Starfleet Academy story like this one. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I watched quite a lot of the original Trek on the UK Sci-Fi channel over the last several months and still really enjoy it despite the very primative special effects (which I'm sure were ground breaking at the time). I saw the pilot episode and also the follow up to it were there is some kind of trial involving pike (no idea what the episode was called).

Is good stuff. Have also enjoyed watching some of the TNG repeats shown on Sky 1 & 3 recently.

DS9 was the best of the modern treks IMO. Ok so the first couple of seasons could be hit and miss (very much like Voyager), but the ongoing story arc that developed in later seasons was easily the most detailed (and well developed) plot I have ever seen in any of the Trek's. Didn't watch Enterprise at all, so I can't speak for that. It just didn't appeal to me for some reason. I like Scot Bakula as well, but I suppose he'll always be Sam to me...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Can't remember if "Where no-one ...." actually showed the actor playing "Number One" (yes that's what she was called) but it was the same person who became Nurse Chapel - Majel Barrett. I think it was only her and Mr. Spoke who was in the original pilot that carried on into the main series.

Now if this star trek stuff isn't geeky I don't know what is 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, the original series was always filmed with a tight budget so decent special effects were always a struggle. What made the show successful ultimately was the writing. All of the other Star Trek series except the original had an in-house team of writers for all the episodes but the original series used a lot of freelance talent. Actual science fiction writers like Theodore Sturgeon, Harlan Ellison, Norman Spinrad, and Robert Block wrote episodes (Sturgeon wrote two including the famous "Amok Time" which "invents" Vulcan mating practices).

While I think that Star Trek: The Next Generation is probably the best and most consistantly written series, The original series had the virtue of being groundbreaking. No one had ever done a science fiction series as an ongoing story line before. All of the previous science fictions TV shows were anthologies (The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Science Fiction Theater).

When Roddenbury tried to sell the idea to NBC, he explained it was like a Western set in space (literally, he called it a "Wagon Train to the stars"). Western TV shows were fantastically popular in American in the 1960s and that was the only way the studio producers could understand the idea.

Even though the show was a hit with fans from the beginning, it never really caught on with a wider audience. It was almost cancelled at the end of season two but an amazing grassroots campaign to keep Star Trek alive via tons of fan letters demanding it let Star Trek go on for one more season. It finally died and that would have been that except for syndication.

Starting in the early 1970s, Star Trek was back and it wasn't just popular...it was a phenomenon. Ultimately, it became its own genre and its own industry which has been both good and bad. I just hope this next effort is a good one.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Funnily enough this reminds me that Star Trek was the first TV program that I saw in colour, when I was, ahem, 7 year old.:ohmy

I've got loads of Star Trek trivia questions. Anyone fancy a star trek quiz?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, Majel Barrett played Number One only in the Cage. NBC turned down the Cage because they didn't think it was action-oriented enough. They also thought that audiences wouldn't accept a woman as second in command of a starship so the role of Nurse Chapel was created for Barrett.

Star Trek trivia? Go for it, AJ. :D

7. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

This reminds me my little Enterprise and all those trekkie LCARS screens and screensavers (ones that I'm really obsessed with their designs) at work.

I've got these on all my work workstation computers...they all got different "status" (i.e. firewall status for shields.....commlink for e-mail server stats, etc lol) and looks....

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...