New RAM problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runiu, Jun 28, 2007.

1. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Yesterday I added new ddr 400mhz (2x256mb) into my machine...there are already 2x256 (333Mhz)...and nothing...PC didn't boot...it was turned on but no beep...

Then I removed new memory and put the old ones. Same thing.

Then I removed BIOS battery and after couple of hours put again battery,old and new memory...and PC started, Windows loaded, everything was fine...
    But after restart...PC is on but no beep, no screen on monitor...

Any ideas????

:)

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - I'd say that it doesn't like the new memory, or the mix of the two types of memory. I'd send the new memory back and get it swapped for a better match.

A bit more in the way of details on the motherboard and the precise types of the memories would help pin it down better.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

In this situation the first thing I'd do is check you have'nt loosened anything in the box, especialy the main board power cable and any cards. Then check to MOBO book for the memory configuration allowed.

Once all that is out of the way, try the new memory on its own (in the same slots as the old).

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What the two posts above said. :D

Also if you havent got a mobo manual check with crucial.com and use their memory advisor tool or goto your mobo manufacturers web page

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

to add to what the guys said, check to see if there are any BIOS updates available that might address certain memory issues.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

I fixed...

I reset the bios again and after that everything is working fine...

Thanks

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP