new pc isnt recognising a printer???

Discussion in 'Networks' started by mandin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. mandin

mandin New Member

Hi
    We have just bought a new pc with xp prof on it. It should be able to print on a print which is on the network, however, it cannot seem to find it. When looking for this printer, it should appear as another computer on the network but it doesnt. Another person who is on an old windows 98 pc can still print to the printer so it is still there. The printer is HP2100 laserjet. Does anyone know how i can get the new xp pc to recognise it?

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Go to start, printers, and then add printer. Navigate / browse to find the printer on the network, choose the one you want and then it should install the relevant printer drivers for you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. mandin

mandin New Member

i have done that - the printer is not showing up

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can you ping the printer's IP address? Can you open it by going to Start -> Run -> \\ipaddress ?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. mandin

mandin New Member

sorry - could you tell me how i can ping test - i have forgotten

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries. On your Windows computer, go to:

Start
    Run
    In the run window, type cmd (assumes Windows XP or 2000)
    The command emulator window opens
    Type "ping ip address" without the quotes at the command prompt.
    Press Enter.

Example: Let's assume your printer's IP address is 192.168.0.1. At the command prompt, you'd type "ping 192.168.0.1" without the quotation marks, of course, then press Enter.

If you get a reply, that means you have a network connection to the printer and your problem lies elsewhere. If you get a time out or destination cannot be reached message, you do not have a network connection from your computer to the printer and you'll have to troubleshoot it.

Let us know how it turns out.

7. mandin

mandin New Member

the problem i am having with doing the ping test is that i cant find out the ip address of the printer - everytime i click on it (on the pc that it is showing on) it says something about not allowing remote access!

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is the printer on the network or connected to another computer?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  9. mandin

mandin New Member

its on a network and plugged into a D-Link router

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I guess I'm confused here. Is this a printer at home or at work? Who configured the printer's NIC with an IP address. Usually you can get the printer to issue a hardcopy report about itself including it's IP address, but each printer is different in terms of how this is done. You'd have to go to the printer itself and work your way through the menu until you found something that seems to be a self-report, then print it.

Just to make sure I'm understanding your situation correctly, this printer has a built-in network interface card and it hooked directly to the network via an Ethernet cable rather than being connected to a computer that is hosting the printer...correct?

EDIT: Nugget got to my last question a minute before I did. :oops:

11. mandin

mandin New Member

I will do as you send and browse through the printer menus .....
    it is connected via an ethernet cable and hooked directly to the network.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you have a server on the network or is it a peer to peer network?

If you have a server, connect to it by ip address and you should see the printers there. Then just drag one of the icons to the (open) printers folder.

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

see if there is an option for printing 'pages' on the printer, find the 'configuration page' it should have the IP address

also what is acting as the print server? is it a machine on the network? or is it the dlink router?

if its a windows machine

you should be able to browse to

\\printsvrname

click Printers and Faxes

right click the printer and select CONNECT

if its the dlink router acting as the print server then god knows :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. mandin

mandin New Member

i have printed the config page and there is no ip address on there!
    it is the D-link router acting as the print server.
    :(

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Can *anybody* print to this device or are you the only one with the problem? How is the D-Link router acting as a print server? Can you go into the D-Link router's configuration and check the settings? Also, who (if anyone) set the printer's static IP address? Hopefully, the printer isn't receiving it's IP from the D-Link via DHCP. If so, it's gonna need a static IP, or you won't be able to access it...at least consistently.

16. mandin

mandin New Member

Two people could print to this printer. One of them, that hasnt had her pc changed, can still print fine, the other one is the one with the problem after installing her new pc with xp pro on it - it just cant see the printer!
    i dont know the answer to your questions i am afraid

17. mandin

mandin New Member

i have now unplugged the printer from the network, attached it as a local printer to one of the pc's and shared it with the other pc and it is working fine!
    I am sure as a network printer it was far complicating the job! There are only two people who use it and they sit right next to each other - have i done wrong?

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh duh! New computer...XP Pro...SP2...could this be a firewall issue? Try disabling the firewall on the new computer and see if it will connect.