New opportunities

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jun 16, 2019.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So, after just over a 15 months in my current role I am now applying for a role where I will be in charge of SCCM (configuration manager) as well as other bits and bobs, Do I think I will get it? Not 100% as I have very little experience, do I want it hell yes, am I going full steam ahead to get it, hell yes. All I know is I need to be out of where I am, just because its ok but not exciting enough for me.

Ill update you if I get it

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah best of luck ZX. You can do it mate. Buy you a pint if you get it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Good luck.

My biggest mistake when I left college was I used to be put off by the years of experience required etc but now I just apply whether or not I have all skills listed on the spec.

5. zxspectrum

Cheers all

I should get an interview at least and between now and then its vids vids vids ha ha

ZX

6. zxspectrum

Well, bit of an update
    I got an interview, I didnt get the job. I know the bloke who got it and its well deserved, my only slim hope now is that his current employer values him and gives him a raise. However I cant see them doing that to be honest

As for myself, I can take something from the fact I came second and joint top on the test.

As for the future, I know the dept wont be posting any jobs with what has just gone for a least a year, I do know there is a networking role coming up, which I will go for but that means cisco certs to have any chance of that

Onwards and upwards

Zx

JK2447 likes this.
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate, you did your best and should be proud. This will be just the beginning for you if you keep up this great attitude and ability to take the odd set back. I've lost count of the things I didn't get in my career. The roles I needed at the time, that I look back on now and think thank flip I didn't get that, because I wouldn't be where I am now sort of thing. Its all fate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate but sounds like you got some good experience from the whole process.

What test did you get? Was it SCCM related?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. zxspectrum

Cheers guys

There were only 2 questions on SCCM, the rest were asking about bios, loop back, some ping commands etc. I got 23 out of the 27 questions which was joint top with the lad who got the role, who coincedentially I have worked with in a previous role and who I told about the job, i didnt think he would go for it. Hes good at what he does though so cant begrudge him that and were on the same scale so its not all bad.

I know there is a networking job coming up there at some point, may chuck in for that and get my cisco stuff sorted. If a similar job comes up SCCM wise, i will know more as I am setting up a DC, win 10 work station and SCCM using hyper v, then i will play around

ZX