new monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soady, Nov 19, 2007.

1. soady

soady Bit Poster

hello again,

i have managed to scrimp and save and have found the money to get me a monitor, but now i am torn between 2 and after last time u lot can give me some really good advice, i was hope i could get some more :)

they are:

Samsung SM2032BW TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 3000:1 300cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI-D Glossy Black 3 Years Warrany

and

Samsung SM940N TFT Monitor 1280x1024 700:1 300cd/m2 8 ms RGB Silver H/Adjust 3 Years Warranty

i have taken out the size so i can get a more fair answer, also there is a small price differnce one is £70 more

going to be using this for games with this graphics card:

Sapphire X1950GT 256MB GDDR3 DVI-I TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

thanks for any and all help

Soady :D

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have the Samsung 204B 20" monitor. (1600x1200) 800:1 16ms Great monitor but I havent played any games on it yet.

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/SAMMO269?cidp=Kelkoo&tduid=9d5fd57aec5b647db1b56313b0b6daec

Perhaps the first monitor you listed is better for gaming?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) One cannot make a fair assessment without knowing the size and price...
    2) Do you think we can't Google for the monitor size using the model number information? :blink:biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I purchased a CHIMEI monitor, model #CMV221-D, from NewEgg and I love it. NewEgg users give it a 5-star rating and I have to agree. I have had it for about a month or so now, and it has reduced my eyestrain a lot.

It probably isn't something you would want to use if you're doing lots of work that demands absolutely accurate colors, but for work such as I do like system administration, surfing the net, writing scripts, etc... it is more than adequate.

It's a 22" wide screen. Resolution is 1600x1050. It's bright and has good contrast. The only negative I could think of for this thing is that it isn't height-adjustable. For me that doesn't matter as where it sits its at a perfect height for me anyway. The cost was the incredibly cheap. I paid $252 US with shipping and have a $20 mail in rebate. As far as I'm concerned this monitor is a very good value.

I will put the link to it at the NewEgg site below. If you read the worst reviews thing got, the 1 star ratings, they total about 1% of the 549 reviews, the people who had real problems with this monitor basically had one that was DOA, or died within the first few days. For a monitor at this size and this price I figure that's pretty good quality control.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. soady

soady Bit Poster

Hello,

yes its true you could do that but not really what i was going for, what i wanted and has been shown by the others was to see if any one had either model or a similar one with out looking on the net for them, and to give an honest thought on what they think about either their monitors or ones that they have been thinking of buying.

@ sparky, pls let me know when u get a round to gaming on it i would very much like to hear what u think, as gameing will be one of the primary uses. :)

@ ffreeloader, there of course will be some word and net surfing but i try to limit that to work :P but i dont need a flash screen for just that, its the gaming i want it for when i am at home.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would get the top one if we are just to go of the spec you posted.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

First one is better for FPS gaming, the response time is important. I didn't google screen sizes or anything.

A good monitor I've bought, and one of my friends, is linked below. We are both ex high end Quake 3 players, UK national team, and division 1 in leagues etc. so I think if it's performance is good enough for us, it should be good enough for you?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?ProductID=16674&Page=1

Sadly it's out of stock, but for this price it's worth waiting for.

Dave

P.S. It's apparently a Samsung Panel :p

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. soady

soady Bit Poster

hi,

wow u are an ex QIIIA player, lol well as luck would have it i am a current quake 3 player i play for the loonies, best 1.31 clan around, atm, i will look at that one, its cheaper than one of the two i have listed and might be able to get it somewhere else not going to get it till Jan i think, so might be back in stock by then alway nice to have another alternate to compare with thanks, and if u ever fancy flexing your q3 muscle again find me on freeze tag on 1.31

:)*SoadY

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. soady

soady Bit Poster

hehe

i saw that and the two monitors that i have listed are both from ebuyer :D i would love that one but its just to expensive for me, 200+ is just two much

soady

11. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

The first one looks like it would be better for gaming based on the specs that you posted. I didn't cheat and google the models.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well to be honest...a monitor like that coming from Samsung...I think the price is perfect...not too expensive yet not too cheap...in fact have a look at this

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just judging on what you've written, I would say go for the first one as it has a 2ms response time, is widescreen, has a higher resolution (so even if your current GC won't support that high resolution, your next one will) and has both DVI & VGA input.

However based on personal experience, I would say go for this one :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security