Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by StuartIngram, May 14, 2009.

1. StuartIngram

StuartIngram New Member

Hi All,

I stumbled upon CertForums while doing a lot of research and reading a lot of opinions to whether doing a 'CIW Master' course would be 'worth it.'

I have got very mixed opinions and after a couple of months of considering it I have decided to bit the bullet and go for it.

My course cost my just a little under £1500.

Although I understand a certificate will not get you a job I have been doing web design since my early teens but feel I need that bit of teaching to round off the jagged edges in my work. I have self taught myself everything up to this point such as HTML, CSS, Java, Photoshop, Dreamweaver... the list goes on.

I would definitely say I'm no expert in the overall web design market but I believe I can produce work at a high enough quality to sell onto clients.

I hope that I can use this forum to help guide me through the CIW course and help me learn off the more experienced IT professionals.

If anyone else has completed this course I would love to hear from them and their experiences/opinions of it.

Many thanks for your time.

Stuart

WIP: CIW Master
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

If you can already build & sell your work/portfolio, you're already half-way there, if not there already. While I haven't done the CIW exams yet myself, I do believe that in the area of webdesign, being qualified assists in building confidence in yourself and "eases" clients (eg shows them that you're qualified) along with an excellent portfolio. However as for paying £1500 for a course, I not sure of that, I guess it depends on how many modules they are going to teach you, does that include the exams and whether or not self-study was an option. Anyway... Other certs that you may want to consider would be the Adobe (ACA) range for Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Flash.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security