Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ukmets, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ukmets

ukmets New Member

Hi all,
    My names David from Northants.
    Im, just about to start my long journey into obtaining some certs, starting with the A+, will be sell studying. I had contacted a few distance learning companies but they seem to all be salesmen trying to make me part with a lot of cash. I've though about going to the local college but i think i want to move at a quicker pace.

All advice welcome.

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

Most people on here will advise you to do the A+ first and most also advocate self studying as its cheaper and you can do it at your own pace.

I myslef am self studying for the A+ at the mo.

feel free to ask any questions you have, everyone on here will be happy to advise :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome!

Another member fron Northants. There sure is a fair few of you lot around here now! :biggrin

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Another vote for self study here, grab the Meyers 6th edition and see what you think! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome :)

I know, we people from Northants are slowing taking over the world :twisted:

If you're thinking about going to your local college, depending on where you are, Tresham does a good deal if you want to take the A+ in conjunction with the iPRO units, otherwise it's about £3000 (the A+ with iPRO is heavily discounted as they can get gov funding, but not if you only do the A+ by itself). However self-study is a very good alternative, it can be cheaper and you can go as fast or as slow as you want. It isn't for everyone, but then going to college isn't for everyone either.

Good luck on your studies (whichever way you go) and remember there is a forum full of people here to ask any sort of question :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, David. Good luck with your studying.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Yay for Northants! I am in a fairly similar position to you, as are most of us here, but I found a fairly decent looking site yesterday that offer the A+. At the risk of sounding like i'm advertising, they offer the course as a selection of videos rather than paper/CD ROM/ Internet based. I believe the company are called Paleastra, and they've got a couple of sample videos on there for you to have a gander at before parting with your money. Hope this helps a bit :)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA