New Member, Old Scam?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Samv92, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Samv92

Samv92 New Member

Hello guys,

I know there was a thread on this exact same thing but I couldn't post in there.

Now, I recieved this call last week stating that my CV had been shortlisted for an "Microsoft Support Technician Engineer" role.

I had applied for loads of jobs so I was a bit surprised that I got a call back. I went for a face-to-face interview. I was completely convinced that this was a legitamet company. A HUGE office building in Moorgate, London, had to go to reception, get a name card etc, etc...

Now I didn't notice anything wierd until I had got home after the interview..

I realised this was the EASIEST interview I had ever had in my life. I was forced into making a decision there and then as well as paying "£250" for the exam fee's. I done more research and there were LOADS of links to say its a scam, you wont ever pass the mock exam, and therfore wont get your money back. I was thinking S**t, what have I done.

My sisters came round the next morning and were like congratulations on your new job. i voiced my concern to them and because they work for top law firms in London, my sister took a look at the contract I had signed and then said that NO legitemate company would ask for money from you or make you sign the contracts there and then. She also done a search on Companies House for the company and BOY were there alot of interesting facts about them.

For any of you, who dont know about Companies House. Its a government website that has a list of ALL registered companies in the UK and provides information about them.

Their current status is:

Accounting Reference Date: 31/10
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/10/2010 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
    Next Accounts Due: 31/07/2012 OVERDUE
    Last Return Made Up To: 20/10/2011
    Next Return Due: 17/11/2012 OVERDUE

You can get all this information free from that website.

I did another search for DYNIT Solutions Ltd and again they are registered on there on the same address.

So 1 they lied to me when they said they have been going for 6 years and two on Companies House they are in the process of Proposal to Strike off, their accounts are overdue...

Now, I'm pretty convinced this is a scam and I WANT to take legal action against them, my Dad paid the £250 but he can get that back on the insurance, I'm tempted to ring them up Monday and just pretend that I think they are a legitamet company and say
    "I've been offered a job which starts just after Christmas, and they are offering me training on the job so would I be able to get the refund since I haven't started any training yet" Obviously they will say no, so then I will just say
    "Ok, I've read up on you on Companies House and know exactly what you are, so you will be hearing from my solicitor as my sisters work for top, top law firms in London"

What do you guys think? Will i be able to take legal action against them? Sorry for the hassle.

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

No employer will take money from you at an interview.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Damn. It's sad that when people are really in need of work some useless vultures will find a way to capitalise on it.
    Hope you can recover the money, and would advise steering well clear.

Agree that no employer will take money from you at interview - many good places will give you money to reimburse travel.
    Hope others see this and steer clear also...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

This really is disgusting, clearly.

Unfortunately I don't think any sort of "I will be contacting my solicitors" is going to hold much water. Even if you took them to small claims court and won, it is a different matter getting money out of them.

Unfortunately in this day and age, particularly with the way things are at the moment, there are a lot of these types of companies out there, playing on people's desperation.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

If you are unsure always pay on a credit card. You get added protection from the card company.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  6. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I would just chalk it up as experience. As has already been stated, even if you do get them to court it's unlikely they are going to pay you back. Look on the bright side, at least your Dad is insured for the £250 (presumably paid on his credit card).

All that will happen if you persue this is you will get more and more bitter and wound up about it. It's Christmas - have a few beers and forget about it!

7. JezzaIT88

JezzaIT88 New Member

Hi Samv92, i am new to this forum and new to IT, i was looking to get into the industry. I went for the same interview last week and paid £200 and only realised when i got home - a bit like yourself.

What became of this? I spoke to some of my IT Professional friends and they told me that someone with NO experience in IT will be able to pass all 3 exams withing 2 months from the interview day.

So they get your money, you fail and get no job.

Could you tell me how you resolved this?

Thanks

8. Samo3411

Samo3411 New Member

hi guys

I was called for an interview in the same place, I spoke to the little Indian lady. every thing about the company the job and the interview looked dodgy for me even the interview confirmation state that you may have to pay to be trained before u get the job , but I went there just to get an idea about the type of questions in IT interview , I was so disappointed because I could see its a scam I told her that and start arguing with her about wasting my time and taking advantage of people.

in an interview u get asked questions and they explain to u the position on offer and u can ask questions also. and they get back to u in a week to 10 days.
    this was nothing like that they don't ask at all. they offer you the job straight away and ask you to sign some dodgy paper that state you have to pay them £250.

Certifications: Network+ CCENT
    WIP: CCNA ICND2
    JezzaIT88 likes this.
  9. JezzaIT88

JezzaIT88 New Member

Yes this is why i went in the 1st place to gain some experience at an IT interview, im so upset that i went through and paid the £200!! but im in a desperate time where I'm potentially losing my current job. I felt slightly pressured and just paid.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do now? i told my credit card company so they cannot take anymore money out. Surely no one has got a job through these people?

10. Higgy

Higgy New Member

Mate there all over the place - I had a company claim my job wouldn't start unless I paid them for their course in their classrooms. BLATANT scam. It took me ages to find a reputable company but finally did and i'm where I need to be. Number one rule never pay to any company who hounds you for money on the day - especially if its a so called "interview".

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like a scam to me.

In regard to the companies house info – their accounts are overdue hence the potential striking off action. This happens even if your accounts are a month overdue which can happen – especially with small businesses.

In this case they are months overdue so it looks like they have no intention of submitting them and they will wind the company up when the tax man comes after them.

Take it as a life lesson mate and I hope you get your money back.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs