New member - Help Required

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by cerbera, May 30, 2010.

1. cerbera

cerbera New Member

Hi guys,

i've recently graduated and am looking to do a job in IT (not the programming side of it though). I currently have a HND in Computing, and have little experience job wise....i'm looking to take on a course which will give me better skills and give me a better chance in getting a job, and ideas on what I should be looking to take on. The kind of job i'm going to go for will require no job experience so there is no point in going for a CCNA or something like that as all these jobs require experience.

Thanks in advance

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

Entry level certs are: compTIA A+, compTIA Network + and Microsofts MCDST.

The A+ covers general computing (hardware and software)
    The N+ is general Networking
    The MCDST covers supporting systems using XP and supporting the applications that run on XP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. cerbera

cerbera New Member

thanks for your response, i've had a look on some it job sites and i can't find any jobs specific to A+ or N+.

do you think it will help me find a job?

4. greenbrucelee

Entry level certifications are there to make you look more attractive to an employer and to back up your other qualifications, whilst high level certs are too show your experience level.

You need to be looking for entry level jobs.

Don't make the same mistake I did when I got my HND. I was applying for jobs that were beyond my experience level. The A+ wont have a specific job related to it as it covers a lot of things and is normally suited to helpdesk and entry level technician roles. The Network + will also be in the area of technician and trainee network admin. Then the MCDST will help in all of the roles I mentioned.

There aren't really any other certs you can do until you have some experience apart from the MCDST upgrades in Vista and Windows 7.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

^^^

What he said

many wouldn't, you occasionally see MCP (get when you pass first MS exam) and MCDST. However, these are entry level certs and would be appealing to any employer filling a entry level, trainee or 1st level support position. They would give you an advantage ,however, experience is more sought after. Just don't forget the job market has the highest level of competition in years so don't expect to be able to walk into the first job that comes. It could take a while.. just don't give up.

A+, N+ and MCDST is the normal path for someone in your position.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. cerbera

cerbera New Member

Thanks for your help guys, I think i'm going to go for the compTIA A+ to start with and then progress onto the MCDST....do you think that's the right way forward?

7. greenbrucelee

A+,Network+ and MCDST. You don't technically have to do the Network+ but it could help when doing the MCDST and if you plan on getting further certs in the future when you have experience such as the MCSA then the A+ and Network+ count towards the elective exam for the MCSA.

8. supernova

A+, N+ , MCDST

i dont actually have a N+ myself, if i were starting from scratch knowing what i now know now i would have done it in the above order. In fact i have decided to go back and do the N+ sometime as a refresher before progressing to CISCO when my job requires it.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. cerbera

cerbera New Member

could you tell me the prices involved in studying the compTIA A+ course - exam and if i was to study it at a college.

regards

10. supernova

A+, I personally self studied so i brought a book (Mike Meyers All in One from Amazon), some extra practise exams (Trancender) and paid for the exams (Pearson VUE .. or Prometric ).

Oh and a old PC (could get from ebay for <£30) and some tools :-)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  11. supernova

12. cerbera

cerbera New Member

i'm fairly comfortable with building pc's as I do that in my spare time anyway, but i do have a few old computers i can have a mess around with...

How much does the exam cost, I think there is only one - am i right?

A friend told me http://www.jbctraining.co.uk/general/about-jbc.html is somewhere I can go to study the course, do you know anything about this company?

Also what are the courses like if I study at a college....is it similar to uni where you sit in a lecture theatre and take notes from powerpoint slides? or is it more practical based?

Thanks in advance

13. greenbrucelee

you have to pass 2 exams to become A+ certified. When I did the 600 series it was Essentials which was mandatory and one other which most people did IT technician elective. Now I believe you do essentials and a practicle.

THe exams cost £114 + vat each however you can get discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com and you use the voucher codes to pay for the exam when booking through pearsonvue.

I don't know anything about course costs as I self studied just be aware that some courses do not include the exams and also be aware that a course will cost you a lot more money thann doing what supernova and I did and that was just get the books, study, practice then take the exams.

14. cerbera

cerbera New Member

ok thanks, i called a company today called Computeach based in Dudley, could anybody shed some light on this company....is it good/bad i've been told their history isn't great. They charge £1,695 and within those 12 months you study the compTIA A+ and MCDST, along with helping find a job, they help practice interviews and put your CV together for the job you are after.

15. greenbrucelee

Everyone knows my thoughts on training providers and the BS they tell you. Have a search on the forum you will find loads about computeach.

Most of us on here self study because its cheaper and you can't rip yourself off.

My advice to you is if you really need some sort of face to face tuition is to look at your local college. Have a search and you will find out why a lot of us advocate self study.

PS for that price you could self study the A+ and MCDST and still have about £1200 left after paying for the exams.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. supernova

unless your a complete noob i don't think you should need a course for the A+ to MCDST

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  17. rsmithone

rsmithone Bit Poster

let me tell you a bit about compuscam 1600 pound for your a+ 2 books priced 50 pound and your exam for 114 pound they say lots of support ive had more phone calls to this date its around ten of the credit control at computeach to 1 phone call off a teacher that was because i had to ring them first they also put in there contract that you only get 7 days to cancel the contract dont arrive for 3 weeks so you cant cancel im currently a student at this cant even think of a word to say bad enough to describe them bunch of clowns as it stands at the minute im in talks with trading standards the birmingham mail and waiting to here back from watchdog to 1 google search on computeach complaints will give you all you need i dont understand how they can keep ripping people of
    computeach scamming people since 2002.

WIP: comptia a+
  18. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

I'm also doing my a+ course but with a company called learninglolly.com. I'm paying £1699, but i'm getting 7 or 8 different things on it including a+, n+, server+, security+,linux+ and also mcdst so its alot better value than computeach if you want to go down this way of learning. Its all dvd based training no books involved and you also get access to measure up exams and help with cv's etc and support centre if you get stuck at anything

My package is called Senior Support Technician, so give them a call if you want they don't put any pressure on you to buy if you don't want to or you can just buy the books etc that the other guys were telling you about
    either way let us know how you get on :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680