New Member from Down Under

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by IamJasen, Aug 30, 2012.

1. IamJasen

IamJasen New Member

Hi guys, new to the forum... Some background, I have been in IT for almost 7 years. At the moment working in a helpdesk role at a government department. Previously worked at a few ISP's also in helpdesk roles.

I have a Diploma in Network Engineering and looking to boost my career with some certifications, mainly as I am finding it difficult to find opportunities working outside of support. I have also pondered moving to Europe as I hold EU nationality, however I have heard on the grapevine the job market isn't the best at the moment?

Looking forward to meeting some new people around the forums. I am sure all of you will provide plenty of helpful advice :)

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF. The job market is a little bit bumpy to say the least at the moment, certainly in the UK. There are still plenty of jobs about, just lots of people going for them.

I assume from what you have written you are interested in a Network type role, so in terms of Certs etc I would say the Cisco CCNA etc as the best place to start. I think the Cisco certs are generally seen as the best in the industry by a majority of employers when looking for networking people, although this obviously isn't always the case.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. maggotfude

maggotfude New Member

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find a tough job market pretty much everywhere. Though from what I have heard, IT has it a lot easier than many other segments. Good luck.

4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Welcome! :) From my experience of trying to break into my first IT support role at the beginning of this year there was plenty of jobs there, i was applying for literally hundreds but they just all wanted experienced people.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Certforums. Check out the job sites mate. I'd say the job market is hard if you're getting into IT but not so much if you've got experience and certs. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP