New Machine build...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Aug 16, 2007.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

intels quad core isnt a quad core its two dual cores put together, amds barcelona core which is due out this month is a "native" quad core. might be worth waiting to see if they're any price drops when its released. although its domination will only last until intels 2nd gen quad core harpertown is released later in the year.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

AMD's Phenom CPU's are meant to be what will put AMD back at the top of the tree if the hype is to be believed.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

then I wait to see on how AMD will do...and I imagine they will bounce back from this...

anyway I have now purchased my CPU from ebuyer so that will arrive next week. next up its a toss between the 500GB SATA HDD or the ATI 2600XT 256MB graphics card...ooo-er!!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You should go with the ATI card for no other reason than you're already in hip-deep with AMD... might as well... in for a dime, in for a dollar! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I'm gonna let you have this one...:biggrin

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Surely you could save a few quid by buying it all in one or two shipments ? :D

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trust me I did think about that, but when I looked for my parts I found some places had it cheaper than others...so I had to buy where I found it cheapest..like my CPU was £98 from ebuyer with free delivery and my RAM was £67 inc delivery from Micro Direct.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok here is the latest scope on my 2nd machine. I have now acquired the following:

ASUS M2R32-MVP Mobo
    AMD X2 6000 CPU (3GHz)
    2GB GeIL DDR2 PC6400 RAM (replacement for ones that didnt work!)
    2GB Elixir DDR2 PC6400 RAM
    Maxtor 500GB SATA2 HDD
    2x Samsung 18x DVD-RW SATA (but only one will be used)
    ATI Sapphire 2600XT HD 256MB PCI-E (soon to be joined by another one for Crossfire)
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card (with T6100 5.1 speakers)
    Antec 900 Gaming case
    Hiper Type-R 580W PSU (Blue)

I am going to use one of my 19" LCDs for the time being as I now dont have the funds to buy my 22" LCD but it wont be long until the funds come along...:biggrin as you can see I have gone for the same case I am currently using as I was having a nightmare deciding on which case to get...also the Hiper PSU is a modular one with screw on cables...this is so that cables dont accidentally come off (as I have heard about other modular PSUs). once I have the new 22" widescreen and my other ATI graphics cards...this PC will be one of the best ones I have built in a long time :biggrin so this weekend I am going to be busy building this bad boy....this is going to be a pure gaming machine and wont be connected to the internet (except for certain windows updates). this is so I can concentrate on playing my games and watch movies on one machine and burn my DVDs and do my downloads on the other without interruptions. :biggrin next up...a laptop and 2 more desktops SWEET!!!