New Laptop for Uni

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbooo, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Yeah, that happened to me yesterday on this forum. That's why I had a double entry before.

Well Modey, I'm almost sold! Thanks for the review, it was very informative and interesting! They could have removed the Blu-ray player and reduced the price by £100 couldn't they though? :biggrin: Does that Acer logo on the front of the notebook light up all bluey too? The screen looks like it only has so far to open.. is it limited?

I suppose I can't expect any better a graphics card for anywhere near that price, so I'll be content if I buy it. I'm guessing there's no chance of safely overclocking it .. 8)

Oh, and a question regarding the fingerprint scanner.. I've never used one before. Is it reliable, and do you need software to use it for all your passwords?

I'm excited :D

EDIT: I'm looking at getting the 6920G that has a 2.5Ghz processor instead of 2.1Ghz with 6MB L2 cache. However, for the Graphics, it says "with up to 1791MB of TurboCache".. what does this 'TurboCache' mean?

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well you say you just want a laptop for uni, well you really wont need that much spec for a word document and in that case i reckon with your budget you go for an eeze pc, and format it with XP. then but a decent desktop so you can play all your games etc. Plus the tiny pc wont be heavy and small enough to stash somewhere.

Plus to stop your laptop getting stolen stick a label on the back offering a reward for its safe return, stating that the reward is a can of stella or pot noodle.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, they could have reduced the price and ditched the Blu-ray I guess, but since I didn't have to pay for mine I'm glad they didn't. :) Yes the Acer logo on the lig glows, but it's kind of a white light around the edges of the logo. The screen opens quite far past the 90 degree (ie straight up point). It's certainly not been a problem so far.

It may be possible to overclock it, but I would be very wary of trying that on a laptop. Asking for trouble I would say by trying either the CPU or GPU.

It's a bit of a gimmick, but cool anyway. It has some built in software for handling the fingerprint scanning and password storage. I haven't used it much yet other than to log on with.

I haven't looked it up, but I guess Turbocache is a way for the GFX card to use extra system memory if it needs it. Sounds pretty useless to me as system ram would be much slower than accessing it's own discrete ram directly. It has 512MB of it's own, I doubt it would ever need to use more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Thanks very much all of you for the help and advice. After a long time thinking about it, I'm a student and whether or not I like to admit it, I'm on a budget, so I'm after the best I can get with my money. It'd make more sense to get a small crappy portable laptop (like an Eee PC) to do my work on, and build a computer myself for gaming and shove that in my dorm. I want that ASUS, but I can get more for the same price if I do it this way.

But, I have never built a computer before. I know I can get help from the gf's dad, and I'm planning on buying all my parts from Ebuyer. Shall I create a new thread or continue in this one? The main problem's I'm having is choosing parts that will go with another and will fit in the case etc... like some PSU says it has a 4 / 6 pin connector and the graphics card requires this yada yada yada..

New thread?

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing