New Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Apr 19, 2012.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I have just landed my first IT helpdesk job and start on the 30th of this month. Before this I have worked as a computer technician in a small computer shop for a number of years. Obviously I have a little time before I start and was wondering what sort of things I can be learning / looking at before I start? I will be receiving training but I am a bit nervous as I have not done this sort of job before and have no remote assistance or server experience. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Congrats on the job!
    You shouldn't worry too much, obviously you know your way around pc's, as long as you are able to take in the training and remember what you are taught:)
    As to what to learn, job spec or the interview didn't give you any hints?

3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You have done most of the hard work by landing the job, now you need to prove what you put across in the interview. Everyone has nerves in a new situation just keep focused try to relax and let your personality show through, ask lots of questions and take plenty of notes. Good luck. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Is it 1st line support? If so you almost definately already know most of what you will need to know IMO. If you haven't come across things like AD before then you likely will in the new role, but as with most GUI applications most things are pretty straightforward and simple to understand.

If you have already worked as a computer tech, even in a small shop then I imagine you will probably know a lot more than most people there already.

My 1st helpdesk job was 1st line and some of the people there had NO IT or computing experience but had got the job and managed just fine. We had a lot of people that had vast customer service histories/skills and that seemed to be more what was looked for, the rest can be taught pretty quickly on the desk.

Congrats all the same and hopefully you will enjoy it, then start moving your way up 2nd line, 3rd line support etc. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!