New Job Offer - Worldy Advice Required

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Aug 19, 2013.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Hope all you fine people may be able to assist. I have received a job offer and I am after some advice on a few questions I have (I am going to put some of these question to the company but just wondered what people thought):

1) The contract I received has a weird statement in it saying something like 'by signing this contract the person is agreeing that they may be required to work more than 48 hours over a 7 days week'. Has anyone seen this before? Not sure I like the sound of the statement, it is an american company so it that just somethign they put in their contract by default?
    2) When I was interviewing for the role it was mentioned that I would need to join an on-call rota, however the contract mentions nothing about this - is an on-call rota not something that should be in a contract?

3) The salary they have offered is the same salary that I am currently on, although admitedly it is located alot closer to where I live. They have said that I have a better benefits package that I currently do (health insurance etc.) which is true, but aren't these things taxable and so in theory I am worse off than I currently am? I am tempted to try and ask for a slightly higher salary although they have already had to get sign off for a higer salary the was originally on offer, any advice on how I would word asking for more?

Also, has anyone used sites like Glassdoor to see what reviews there are for a company? Just wondering how much these reviews would influence someones decision to join a company?

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks for the reading/the advice.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The 48 hour thing is standard as far as ive seen these days, I've had that in my last few working contracts. Its to cover themselves against the working time regulations to stop you for downing tools 48 hours and 1 minute into a working week if things have gone royally TU.

I would suspect that an on-call rota would be included in a contract and also basic details of the rota (one week in four for example).

Money wise we cant help you there it depends how much the role is worth to you and how much you are worth to the role, you can ask (dont ask dont get) and see what happens I guess. take into account how much time you should be gaining back from travelling less to and from work and also the cost of that travel. only you can decide on that one.

With any offer and your experience of the interview process you'll have a basic idea of what the company is like and if there is a little alarm bell ringing somewhere in your head already for any reason take heed of it and dont ignore it, intuition is quite a powerful thing.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ask the questions mate - best time to do it while the offer is on the table.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yep was on my contract when I got my job (not in IT btw) if you dont tick it, it just means you wont want to work more than 48hrs a week... tbh I wish I ticked it because they make me do like 60 now

5. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

A lot of contracts are "cut and paste" and contain a load of stuff that shouldn't be there or are badly written. Ask at interview for clarification - if it's not relevant to you, politely ask them to re-write the contract removing the unneeded stuff.

My latest contract, there is a person specified in name who is my "mentor". Why this is on my contract beats me. Also, should "Bob" leave, does this then mean that the company are in breech of contract because they are no longer supplying me "Bob"?? :dry

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  6. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I asked the question and they were very happy to answer them, unfortunately no movement on the salary so I would be moving for the same salary but it is so much closer to home that I would save around 40 minutes each way each day and would also save between £1000-£1500 on petrol costs.

My problem is that I have worked for my current company for so long (I mean a really long time) and although I do want to leave the fact that I have worked at my current company for so long seems to make the mind do funny things when I am this close to leaving. You oddly start to find reasons why leaving would not be a good thing. Think I have got to just break through that and tkae the plunge.

Cheers,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  7. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

A change can be good - only you know if it's the right decision to make.

note that 80 minutes a day saving in commuting is definitely worth it in my eyes, plus you may not be getting a better salary, but a saving of 1 to 1.5K in traveling cost makes up for that.

Good luck

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Don't just take the cut in fuel costs as part of what you're saving in the commute. Time adds up. Think on it this way - it's time you're not at home, with your family, or doing stuff you'd prefer. 40 minutes each way - so 80 minutes, or 1 hour 20 minutes, per day. If you were paid the "national average" (ha) this time is "worth" approximately £17 per day. The average 5 day a week worker in the UK would clock 252 days per year, before annual leave etc. Let's be average and deduct 30 days. So, 222 x £17. That's "time to you" worth £3774. So that's a rise in the fact that you're not giving that time to your new employer.

Yes, I'm a twot. But I like to add these things in. The same calculations for my old job, that figure was more like 6K :P

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA