New job - leaving the Polis!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zebulebu, Nov 28, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, I've stuck at it for nearly two years, but have finally got frustrated enough with the crap pay, snail's pace that technology moves at and reticence to make any improvements to services that entail spending any money that go with working for a UK Police Force. Simply put, if you ain't working for the Met or NPIA, you may as well forget working in IT Security for the old bill!

I have just been offered, and accepted a senior position in a completely different environment (commercial real estate) and start there just before Christmas. It's a big move for me - I'm confident enough, but its a real 'elbows deep in the shite' role - I'll be the Senior Systems Engineer - responsible for the infrastructure, from AD to Networking to Security and covering probably everything in between, The interviews went really well - parent company is in the US so had two videoconference interviews - one a technical one, the other more of a 'see how you fit in' one with the chief Technical guys in the states where my UK boss was present as well. It was a bit odd going for interview again after a couple of years but it wasn't as harrowing as I'd feared.

Not sure what the regime or workload will be like, so may not be able to post from work, and expect to be pretty dormant for at least the first few months whilst I soak everything up!

Best part of the role for me is that they are heavily into virtualisation - they've just started a consolidation project that will end up with about fifty servers dumped onto ESX with a NetApp SAN and I expect that will take up most of my time for the first few months. Hopefully the AD infrastructure will be pretty solid already and I won't have to make any serious changes - nothing like pissing people off by screwing with GPOs before I've got my feet under the table!

I might end up picking Phoenix's brain over some of the more esoteric things in ESX... :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, sounds like a great job! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice, congrats on the job Zeb. You seem to know a lot about this, I am sure you'll do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the new job Zeb and good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a really fun challenge. Hope it goes well, not that I don't think you can do the job, but that the job and the employer are good fit for you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm NetApp qualified too so pick away any time mate :P (I'm surprised us local yokels have not met up for a beer yet, I'm in Croydon once every few months for old work mates curry night but i only live half way along the 109/250 bus route)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Nice One, congrats. Onwards and upwards and all that.:biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  8. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Happier times ahead then. Well done:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Congratulations, Mr :)

It sounds like a great step onwards and upwards. Kick ass, take names. You'll rock :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on landing the new job Zeb, know you'd be alright:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice one Zeb!

Good luck for the future! :biggrin

12. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Nice to have a fresh challenge now and again. Good luck with the move matey.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

sounds like fun.
    congrats on getting the job!

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the new job :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  18. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

woot woot for you zeb. have fun with it man.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aw shucks cheers folks!

Any of our US guys familiar with Bethesda? That's where company HQ is based - not too far from Washington which, I hear, has cleaned its act up a bit and is no longer the murder capital of the US (which is nice!)

Also, its only 250 odd miles from Pittsburgh, so when I get over there I might be able to catch some Pens games!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em