New herbert joins

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by uriah, Sep 18, 2006.

1. uriah

uriah New Member

Greetings and apologies to anyone called herbert.
    I have been interested in computers since oooh the ZX81 and progressed through CBM64, 128; had a couple of XT's with 2 x 10mb HD and 640k memory. 1 x 286, 386 and my wife bought me a 2nd hand Apricot Xen LS11, which I still have (can't be parted from it - ahhh). This was a really cutting edge machine which had an on board security system that was operated by a credit-card sized remote (which I don't have), on board video, NIC, audio. It cost £800 s/hand £2200 brand new. I have built many PC's over the years and have a good working knowledge of them, having fixed friends and familys. I am the IT bloke at work - amongst many other hats and run an NT4/xp/win98 environment of about 25 PC's, 3 servers and a DVD tower that I got for £40 off ebay and other toys. I built the network at work and it goes pretty damn well and runs Mdeamon email server which is really great and much cheaper than Exchange. I am self taught and have no certificates or training. I am learning Linux having just got Ubuntu. The more I learn the more I realise how little I know and that there are some really brilliant people out there. I am proud to say that my youngest son is one of them and compared to him I am still on page one of a Janet and John reading book "look John Look, see the ball".
    I like free software and have found that ebay can be a source of good but cheap equipment, which is good as I am the company accountant too. If you have read this far, thank you.

2. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Hi Uriah - Welcome to the forum

Nice first post - takes me back :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi Uriah, welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685