New Graphic Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AJ, Aug 10, 2003.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Guys

I am after a cost effective video card for games and general use.

It must be AGP card and the spec has to be a minumum of 32MB 3D video card with single pass, multi-texturing and T & L (What's this?).

I am a bit confused (it doesn't take much :? ) by the AGP 1X, 2X, 4X and 8X. My mobo (ASUS A7S333) will take a 4X but will the newer 8X cards adapt to a slower speed?

A GeForce style of card is preferred.

Can anyone recommend a suitable card and a site to buy it from.

Many thanks and looking forward to all the 100's of replys!!!

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have a look here LINK you can input your spec and get a list of available cards. The company "dabs" are good and i've purchased from them before with no problems.

As far as I know Yes it will (LINK)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

As far as I know the AGP spec is backward compatible - as long as you make sure you get an AGP 2 card for an AGP 2 motherboard - I made the mistake of buying an AGP 2 motherboard and tried to fit my old Voodoo 3 3000 in it (which is AGP 1). The slots and the card were back to front, lol.

I have a GeForce Ti4200 8X which is around £110 (probably cheaper) which seems to cope with most things I throw at it - however I have heard that ATi are doing good cards these days - Radeon 9000 series are not too shabby.

www.tomshardware.com is a good site for comparison.

4. AJ

Cheers Cartman

I have just ordered an MSI Geeforce FX 5200 TDI 128 8X AGP

My motherboard will only support a 4X so I'l let you know how I get on.

Thanx for the help

Andrew

5. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Blimey, Andrew - looks like you've gone for a monster! With that sorta card I'm sure it'll make your tea for you in the morning - with Transform and Lighting effects natch!

Hope all goes well.

6. AJ

Well I suppose that it is a monster card, but the thought is that upgrade now and it will be a while before another is required. Plus the fact I need a card like this to play Lord of the Rings game.

I know it is a sad reason, but there you go.

LOL

Andrew

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Not sad at all - why else does anyone buy a higher end graphics card? I guess I might get floods of replies (I wish!) saying they do photo editing, video capture et al. Games are the only reason I got a GeForce 4!

And... :oops: the Voodoo 3 didn't fit in me new board! Shame really - quality card in its day.

8. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I have a GFX5200 w/ 128 MB onboard ram.

I had exactlt the same question - will it work on my 2x MoBo - the answer is yes!

That meant that when I bought my new system (see my thread on this board) I could plug it in and get 8x speed :)

Card you have should handle everything your system could probably throw at it.

9. AJ

Cheers Kelton

Card arrived the other day and got around to fitting it Everything went smoothly and card workd well. Not tryed it out games wise yet, but will do ASAP.

Oh it is the FX5600 not FX5200.

Cheers All

Andrew

10. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

5600? great! I couldnt afford that when I got my 5200. 5600 should be good for games. The 5200 cuts it - but only just!

What make do you have? Does it come with software to alter your Mem/GPU Speed?

I have a Gainward - they make 2 specific cards at any level. 1 that comes guaranteed to run at a high frequency for mem and GPU although you can use software to increase this at own risk. The other it comes with base settings as default and it hasnt been tested or approved by them to run faster, however it is usually safe to do so. Gainward have nice Green/Amber/Red marks to guide you. I got the cheaper base one :)

I started by pumping the GPU up 5Mhz a time and testing. Did that till it became unstable / creashed running 3DMark03. I then worked on Mem Frequency - which yeilds the best results. Did the same - upped it bit by bit till 3dmark03 would not complete tests... then went to setting before and ran through test 5 times.

I ended up being 5-10 Mhz before the green/amber line with both GPU and Memory. When I got the new machine - once I had overclocked and tested the CPU and Memory, I restarted on the graphics card - got a bit more out of both GPU and GPU Memory as it was a 8x port. Increased GPU to Amber line, and GPU Memory to mid amber now! Stabalised it at that and was running benchmarks happily without overheating anything in the case :)