New Fella

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Lenki, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Lenki

Lenki New Member

Hi Everyone,

looking to get into IT after years of (not particularly liking) working in finance, any pointers or advice gratefully received.

Had the NITLC fella round today, had a good sales patter but then I read the thread on doing it by yourself... seems the sensible option...?

Cheers,

...yeah i'm a bit of an insomniac.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Sounds like you've already made a good first decision in your IT career plans!! I am a firm believer that self-study is the way to go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi there, i am doing a course with NITLC, for the money you pay just to get some books and IT help from their tutors then its not worth it!

self study looks like the way to go and with NITLC, most of the time you will be doing that anyway. I wont be giving money away in the future thats for sure! seld study all the way from now on.

Oh and HI :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Self study is the way, if you need help then there is this place and its free :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi there

Me again...........

I am with NITLC and doing their networking course. I think going with a TP has helped me get where I am today. The choice is yours though.

MrM

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

I recently moved out of finance into IT. I must say that the pace of life is much more orientated to the work life balance.

I think your making a great move.

I would recommend updating your CV to make it more IT based and state on it that you are currently studying towards XXX certification and just start applying for lots of jobs.

I used this method in May 08 and recieved a job offer in the middle of May 08.

Good luck in your new career.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF:) good choice on the self study as you'd learn at your own pace as well as save lots of money. Please, feel free to ask further questions as you see fit.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Like he said:p

Hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome...