New comedy on Channel 4

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't mind being portrayed as odd.

I laughed a couple of times, but us it me or is British comedy being dumbed down to falling over and canned laughter?

Where is Blackadder, Father Ted, Yes Minister and Fawlty Towers?

Oh well.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

*strokes the extensive DVD collection*

If I didn't have Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, 'Allo 'Allo, and Red Dwarf, I'd probably go mad.

...wait, they're not sane programs, are they?

More 'memorable' recent British comedies IMO are Black Books (Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Tamsin Krieg), Green Wing (come ON series 2!!) Spaced and Big Train for a decent sketch show. Anyone got any other tasties along those lines, please share them with me. I haven't bought anything from Play for 3 weeks, and they're sending me emails to check whether I'm still alive.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I love Fawlty Towers. It's an all-time favorite of mine that only gets any airtime here on Public Television, and now only when they are doing a fund raising drive so I don't get to see it very often.

I do like a lot of British comedy such as Blackadder. I also like Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, and classics like Mr. Bean. All of these except for Mr. Bean and Blackadder are on every Saturday night so I get my weekly fix of them at least.

One of my favorites to watch all the time that is a lot like British comedy, only it's Canadian, is The Red Green Show. It's 20 solid minutes of very creative comedy.

They close every Red Green Show with "the man's prayer". The prayer goes as follows:

I'm a man. I can change if I have to: I guess....

Then they all get up and go home to their wives....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Got to be 'Big Train', but sad how few people seemed to have heard of it. It could have been the new Monty Python but it just kind of fizzled out. I still chuckle when I think of Ming the Merciless eating a packet of quavers then hoovering the carpet, and the showjumpers who wanted to help the fire brigade...

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

And 'Bottom' of course!

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ah, yes, Bottom.

My sister and I had great fun at the weekend trying to make some Esther Ranzens.

oh, and one of my favourite Big Train moments...

"eh eh eh eh ehhhh eh eh eh..."

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

No mention of 'Hyperdrive' ?

Not a patch on Red Dwarf but still very funny.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  8. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I watched the first episode of Hyperdrive but didn't find it that funny; haven't seen it since. Is it a grower?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I didn't get into it either.
    Not sure why. I chuckled a couple of times, but that was it.
    Anyway, it's on after my bedtime.

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I have decided to watch the program and can I just say it really does give an insight about the IT department in a typical working environment. So far my fave bits are the screen saver, the $h!7 on the forehead and of course the phone a friend! absolutely hilarious...but I am trying to figure out who the female actress reminds me of...any ideas people?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, the screensaver absolutely slayed me too. Loved the RTFM t-shirt one of the guys was wearing in the first episode too. :D

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  12. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

The girl out of 2.4 children ?

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:eek: no!! it cant be!! can it really be her? but doesnt have a twin sister? and if I am guessing right her surname would have to be Buckfield or is it Buckley and I dont remember either of them having Katherine as their first name. and one of them was going out with Dec or was it Ant? u know I cant remember!! unless it was her and she wasnt one of the twin sisters...hmmm better consult my mate Google...

Yep just checked and she's not been on 2.4 Children...she's been in Casulty and Doc Martin...so I think its cos of Casulty is where I remember her from...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

Sry, I didn't think it was the girl from 2.4 children, just looked a bit like her. Casulty...never heard of it, any good ? :wink: