New Businesses and whatnot

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, May 16, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi gents,

just pondering a few things, I was talking to a friend about his business, he runs a hosting company back in the late nineties just as IT was really taking off, and whether he could, if he started a new company now instead of in 1998, would it have the same success, or would it be hard if not impossible because right now, in 2010, it's already been done.

My concern is that, what is there left to start, if someone has done it already.

Is it a lot more difficult to start an IT business than it was ten years ago, if so, how much harder? is it worth bothering? what can someone offer now that hasn't been done already.

I suppose it's coming from my own thoughts on where I am going with my career, I certainly do not want to be making someone else money for the rest of my life whilst I sit in an average salary, but what alternatives are there? I'm convinced starting a company and it going anywhere is bordering on impossible unless you know people in the right places to secure them tenders.

And as for my own career, I want to be in some sort of advisory/management role in the long run, but I'm having trouble imagining how one would even begin to get into that type of role. (obviously, that's a long term goal, not a NOW one).

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think it's definitely harder unless you can find that unexploited niche or you're right at the leading edge.

As you say, hosting has been done and so has support.

I've noticed a big increase recently in software as a service and cloud computing sites so maybe thatps the next thing but I think you'd need to be quick or you'd miss the boat.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The same basic question was asked 10 years ago, and 10 years before that, and 10 years before that.

New ideas and innovations come along all the time. But nobody says you have to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes, it is sufficient to do something that has already been done... but done even better. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree with Mike, not everything has to be a new fangle dangle invention, more often than not someone smarter than you has throught of it or said it better...... you get the idea. A lot of money can be made by taking something that already exists and improving it.

I like your train of thought, wanting to be in a position to call the shots one day. You need the experience tho mate so working along side this guy might give you that. You just get as much experience as you can then in a few years go on your own.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

The dedication in the book I am currently reading, reads as:
    "This book is dedicated, with love, to my parents, Fred and Nora Helmstetter - to my mother, who taught me persistence and perseverance, and to my father, who taught me that there is always a better solution."

My point is that if you want to start a hosting company, do so, only better than was done in 1998. :D

WIP: 70-682