new business, tear me apart please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shaggy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

well best of bloody luck to you pal!!!! Please keep in touch with us all here to let us know about your progress!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Shaggy, i have been running a business for the past four years now offering very similar services to yourself and more. To be honest, your projected notion that you will have one job a day after a year is unlikely. I advertise in the yellow pages and locally by flier etc. I am lucky to pick up one new customer a month. This is an extremely difficult area to make money, you will find that the PCs you are faced with have been tampered with by all and sundry before you are called out. People will go to any lengths to avoid calling out a professional, that is there last port of call.

I would seriously think again about this, i am financially sound, i do not have a mortgage or pay rent. If i did, there is no way i could possibly make this pay.

Also, some jobs are extremely time consuming and there is no way you can justify charging an hourly rate to run Virus scans, defrag, malware removal programs etc.. these things take hours to run on large modern hard drives.

The only reason i do this, is because i love doing it!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am studying business at the moment as you can see in my WIP and there are many factors to consider here, some of them were mentioned already and other factors have not. I do know that starting a business is basically having the odds against you, as they say 10% of business make it in the first year, out of those 10%, 90% fail within the next 5 years.

With computer business its is so competitive that you will have to provide something that no one else has, Especially since you are starting out.

Its quite a risk but I my self would still give it a shot. All I am trying to say is make sure you do a lot of research in your area and see what the competition is like so that at least you can offer competitive rates.

One of the major reasons business fail is because a lack of research not the knowledge in what you do. Also the second most important thing is advertising.

All of these factors have to be considered. After all when a business is throughly planned out it can become very successful. The greater the risk the greater the accomplishment.

Good luck Shaggy. I hope it turns out well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA