New Build Trouble!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbooo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Nope it just slots in and off it goes. I am going to take the new mobo out it's case and put it on cardboard, attempt to boot it with minimal components, and if none of it works I'm going to send the mobo back to Ebuyer for another one.

If they find that it works, then great, it'll cost me a tenner for the delivery but at least I'll know it's not the mobo. I've been reading posts of people who are on their 3rd p5k mobo having had POST problems too..

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Its a pain in the ass when a new build wont work, sounds like your doing things in the right order to solve the problem. See how it goes with everything out the case, and do try a different power supply, it could still be that even though the fans are coming on.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Well, I went round to the gf's dad's house and after putting my mobo on cardboard we tried every single one of his components on it and it still didn't work. Fans come on, green light lights up etc.. But the reset pins on the board don't seem to work.

So, I rang ebuyer and explained that I'd done everything to get it working and he said that it might just be a bios problem - being an old bios it wont boot with the new Q660 so they might just have to put a new bios on and send it back. Anyway I sent it off yesterday and hopefully they can get it all sorted! This is taking a long time to build a computer..

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Jimboooo,

I recall from work experience that one mobo didn't POST. After an extensive and careful troubleshooting process, the mobo finally POSTed. The problem? The power LED in the front of the case was connected to the motherboard backwards.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I too have a P5K Asus board and it beeps ok on post (this does have an onboard speaker), I also have teh Q6600 CPU and that works fine in it. Never had a problem with thsi board, just teh OS!

I would be surprised if the Power LED stopped the mobo booting and Posting, it should just stop teh LED from lighting.

If you tried it all out of teh case on the bench, that rules out a short between case and Mobo, Trying different CPUs and GPUs rule those out, so you probably have a bad board. It could be something such as teh Sockets manage to get some dust in it stopping a good contact between mobo and CPU, or it could be a failed component on the board.

Sending it back was your best option, lets just hope they find teh board is faulty otherwise you normally have to pay a fee for teh test.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Thanks a load for the suggestions guys! You all helped me make sure that I checked everything that could be checked. I'm happy to say that Ebuyer have found the board faulty and I should be receiving my new one within the next few days! :D

Can't wait!

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear you're getting a new replacement motherboard so when it arrives make sure you have your electrostatic straps.

Lastly, make sure you have screws holding the motherboard as a support and its not sitting directly on the metal casing of your case.

Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thats great news :cheers - let us know how it goes.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Out of interest did you have to put the CPU in yourself?

Just thinking it may not be seated properly.

Certifications: A+ Certified
  10. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Yep, I had to put the CPU in myself but it locked in easily and I made sure that I put the lil golden arrow the right way round etc.. I watched a video tutorial on how to insert a new processor onto that specific motherboard by Intel and followed it religiously.

Oh, and the new motherboard will be arriving tomorrow. This'll probably be the first website I get onto if I get it all up and running okay. I'll let you all know how it goes! :)

11. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

The new motherboard has arrived! But guess what, the box didn't have any screws to mount the ****** in the case.. So rather than calling ebuyer I'm off to a local computer shop to get some.

I bet it wont even work when I get back as well x) Problem after problem...

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Now you know why I no longer build my own computers, but get a local dealer to do it. My hair is grey enough as it is!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Jimbooo,

To help rule out possible case mount reasons for no POST, why not try the motherboard outside of the case? So far, it hasn't been confirmed if the ATX power supply hasn't been ruled out as the problem, since maybe it's internal "soft power" circuits that are controlled by the motherboard, CPU, and on/off soft switch may have gone bad.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hey Jimbooo, have some faith and also look at it as a learning curve that you can some day put on your CV.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Hi guys, thanks for all the help! :D

I'm happy to say everything is working, just need to get around to overclocking to 3.2ghz which I'll do in a second. Everything is working great, all four cores, windows recognises 3.3 gig of ram which is fine!

16. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

That's excellent, mate! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  17. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Well done mate, you had a few hurdles to get over, but you stuck at it. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Congratulations!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear you got there in the end. Who would have figured a faulty mobo eh? It happens though sometimes.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada