New build being prepared...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Aug 13, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So from the end of this month I will start buying my parts for my main machine which will keep the same case (Antec 900) and the Samsung 500GB HDD but everything else is getting a massive overhaul and here are what I plan on purchasing:

Coolermaster Real Power 700w Modular Power Supply (will be bought from ebuyer)
    OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR2 (OCZ2P10664GK) (likely to be bought from Overclockers)
    Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (will be bought from ebuyer)
    Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM (likely to be bought from Overclockers)
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ) (to be bought from ebuyer)
    Asus Silent Square Evo CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775) (likely to be bought from Overclockers)
    Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe/Wi-Fi AMD 790FX (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (to be bought from Overclockers)
    AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 2.60GHz Black Edition (Socket AM2) - Retail (this one I will probably wait for the 45nm version to be released as I hear the 65nm can take as much as 140W for power consumption!)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail (still not sure where to get this from, depends which sells it cheapest)

The price will be roughly around £800 mark or less (seeing as some of the stuff can be bought on ebuyer for less than on Overclockers). I will be buying at least 2 items a month until I get to the big guns (ie motherboard, CPU and GPU). So I am looking at about March/April of 2009 before I have them. I am still wanting to upgrade my two 19" LCDs to 20" LCDs of the Samsung range but that is still undecided.

So that's the lot for the main machine. I am now going to hold back on completely re-vamping the gaming machine until same time next year. Which will include an Intel Core 2 Quad and two ATI 4870 X2 1GB GPUS (effectively making it a quad CrossfireX platform) they have been tested and have so far proved worthy, so just waiting on how much they will be...of course by the time I build my new gaming machine (which will be housed in the amazing Antec 1200 case) the prices of said GPUs should be cheaper by then. Unless something bigger and better comes out! lol...i miss building PCs :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Only head-scratchers I see are the choice to use the AMD Phenom and the lack of a sound card. Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

That's cos the sound card I will be using will be the same card that is in the current system (which I forgot to add lol since I will be doing more video editing than sound editing with me doing videos for youtube and that).

but the reason this machine will be AMD is cos I want to use Intel purely for gaming and gaming only and AMD Phenom, along with the 790FX motherboard and the ATI 4870 GPU will make up the AMD Spider platform. And also cos I feel AMD is better for these kind of things...plus it will not be used that much but will be on 24/7 like the current machine always is...

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Any chance you might convert to the Inter Processors? Quad, dual core 2 etc:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. BosonMichael

That's like saying that you want one TV to watch only movies and another TV to watch only network TV. Why not get one awesome computer that does BOTH well? :blink

Feelings are one thing... benchmarks are another. Don't let feelings cloud your decision for a solid computer at a lower price or better performance level.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

cos I have done that before...and my main gripe is stopping my background services before playing a game. this way I have one machine for games (with hardly any background services running) and the other machine will be used for pretty much everything bar gaming. So I will be using it to watch my movies, play my music, download what I need and want, make my videos, work on the likes of Adobe Photoshop and burn DVDs. And I dont want to be playing a game whilst a DVD is burning or have to wait for it to burn. as it is now, when the main machine is busy burning DVDs I can happily play games on my gaming machine without having to worry about anything.

Why is it everytime I say I am going to build a new PC with an AMD CPU inside it that everyone feels the need to bring me down about it?

Haven't u already listened to what I said? I AM GOING TO BUILD A NEW GAMING MACHINE WITH AN INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CPU!! My current gaming machine has an AMD 3GHz dual core CPU and so far apart from Crysis, every game I have thrown at it plays fine.

I think from now on I will stop stating what parts I am buying since people cant understand why I want one machine to have AMD and one machine to have Intel no matter what the reason is.

Thank you for you input though.

7. BosonMichael

If you get a good computer... you don't have to stop background services before playing a game. :D I'm a gamer through and through, and I don't have ANY problems running graphically-intensive games on a 1.83 GHz Core2Duo with an ATI X850XT card with 2 GB of memory. Simply be judicious on what you install on your computer, and you *really* won't have a problem. :)

Then don't play games while a DVD is burning. You can burn DVDs while on forums... while sleeping... while doing any number of things besides gaming. Is it really worth spending thousands on TWO computers just so you can burn DVDs? :blink Dude, I'd understand it if you had a family... but it's just you.

Plus... how much DVD burning do you do? Just sayin... the only people I know who burn DVDs ALL the time are doing so illegally.

...at what cost?

Hey, it's your money. Just tryin' to give advice. :)

Because, unfortunately, AMD lost the performance crown a couple years back. It doesn't make logical sense to get an AMD these days, just like it didn't make logical sense to get an Intel processor three years ago.

I heard exactly what you said. If I were insane enough to build two computers... dude, they'd BOTH be Intel. Just like if I had built two computers back three years ago, they'd have BOTH been AMD.

I think from now on, I will stop giving you advice, since you seem to get all bent out of shape over hearing our opinions. :rolleyes:

Dude, you don't have to agree with us. Just don't get all butt-hurt when we offer advice.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I appreciate your input, however, I was not asking for advice...I was merely stating what I was going to buy...I have my ways of doing things as I am sure you have your ways...and as for AMD not having the performance they use to have, you cant really say that if you dont own one right now or will be owning one in the future...I dont have to have all my computers to run Intel. I know that Intel is really good when it comes to gaming as I have heard other people who have built gaming machines with Intel CPUs saying just how brilliant it runs games with the right graphics cards aswell...

You say you can run games very well in your machine...try Crysis and also RaceDrive GRID and let me know how u get on.

but thank you anyway.

can someone please close this thread now.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why? Because you don't like the commentary you received? Come on noel, get real.

So? If you post something here then someone's going to comment on it whether you asked for it or not. If you don't want it then don't post, or simply say thanks for the input.

As far as I see no-one was dumping on you, just asking if you'd thought about the performance issues of your choices for the money you want to spend. Seeing as you claim to want to do a lot of video/photo editing etc it's a logical question as you need performance for that.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. BosonMichael

So... you believe this should be a closed blog instead of a forum, right? :rolleyes:

As far as AMD not having the performance for the price that Intel has... dude, that's not just my opinion... that's the opinion of just about every benchmarking review site. I don't have to own a Chevy to know that their cars are crap... nor do I have to own an AMD to know that Intel has a clear price-to-performance edge at the moment.

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Noel, please take a big breath and calm down its only opinions after all:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell