New ATI Radeon 9250 AGP Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Apr 20, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I bought this off ebay last week and I just got it today...I have not installed it as yet cos I am at work but I would like to know if anyone else has used this card and what their opinions are about it...and the most important question for me is can it play the likes of Doom 3 and Splinter Cell with no glitches? Thanks in advance peeps :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

splinter cell, probably
    doom 3, i doubt it

all depends on what resolution your lookint to run at
    hell my Radeon M7 (7000ish) in my laptop RAN doom3, but it was at like 800x600 with low everything hehe

my 9600XT had a hard time running it at 1600x1200 med-high detail

have yet to test it with my new 6800 GT :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well as long as it plays it then I dont care...cos my current card is an MSI GeForce MX400 128MB and it cant play Doom 3 cos of the OpenGL being lower than what Doom 3 requires and even Splinter Cell 2 says something about the pixel shader or is that Star Wars Galactic Commando? Not sure but it does play Star Wars ok...but I hope this new card will do better and it wants to...but thanks Ryan...anyone else used it or something similar?

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

• Full support for DirectX ® 8.1 programmable pixel and vertex shaders in hardware
    • 1.4 pixel shaders support up to 22 instructions and up to 6 textures per rendering pass
    • 1.1 vertex shaders support vertex programs up to 128 instructions
    your still not suporting shader 2.0 but i dont think doom requires that, have u upgraded directx versions?
    and what about your drivers? ive had shader errors but a re install of directx and the catalysts worked a charm, that was with a 9200 (my gfs), she can now play WoW just fine hehe

wheras the 9600XT

• 4 parallel rendering pipelines
    • 2 parallel geometry engines
    • 128-bit DDR memory interface (64-bit on RADEON® 9600 SE)
    • AGP 8X support
    • SMARTSHADER™ 2.0
      • Programmable pixel and vertex shaders
      • 16 textures per pass
      • Pixel shaders up to 160 instructions with 128-bit floating point precision
      • Vertex shaders up to 1024 instructions with flow control
      • Multiple render target support
      • Shadow volume rendering acceleration
      • High precision 10-bit per channel frame buffer support
      • Supports DirectX® 9.0 and the latest version of OpenGL®
    supports DX9 and Shader 2.0 suprised u didnt go for one of them, can pick em up for under 100 quid these days and as a gamer a 9250 is a little under powered for something like doom3

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well unfortunately not everyone is fiancially equipped as others thats why I chose that card otherwise I would pay £100...but saying that I cant even afford one for about £50! and yes I have updated Direct X...I think I am now using Direct X 9.1 or something like that? and I can always update the drivers of the AGP card anyway...I'll give it a whirl tonight, at the end of the day its a better card than what I have right now anyway....so I am happy :)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol
    fair dos mate
    well good luck with that card, as i said it SHOULD run doom3, but i cant say for sure
    cant imagine there being a prob with splinter cell

just out of curiosity
    you are paying for all those £34.99 games right? :D

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

erm....:rolleyes: not really...:D

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

right I have decided I am going to get another AGP card and this time I am doing some serious research...looks like the one I bought is rather low spec and not much different from my old one...but I am going to keep it and sell it on meself...may aswell make a few bob from it...since it cost me around £30 I think I will try and get about £10 profit off it...:D yes tis a cunning plan but it should work...hahahaha

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well for your gaming habits i would suggest at minimum a 9600XT
    and idealy something thats fully shader 2/dx9 complient
    i know its prob a bit more than 30 quid, but it may stave off the upgrade for a while
    i ran fine on mine for over a year and a half :)

10. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

I must admit im an Ati guy myself and agree with Phoenix, if you want good performance at a low price then a 9600XT is your best bet.
    Nvidia also have some cards in the same price range but ive found them to be unreliable and sent a few back with faulty ram.

Im currently running a 9600XT at the moment as my 9700pro died a few months ago, but ive had quite a few years out of it so its earned the £300 i paid for it. Im going to stick with my 9600XT now until i can be bothered to do another system upgrade and then go for the 800XT Pci-E.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hehe whilst i like ATI i ended up handign my money to nvidia this time round, they have the lead this generation

and might i point out that a faulty card is no fault of the procesors manufacturer, its likely a manufacturing error by a third party, so i think the important bit is to buy a card from reputable OEM, I use one that provides both cards and my 9600XT, and my new 6800GT are both built to the same high standards, with no errors so far (touch wood)

you get what you pay for folks :P
    I use ASUS by the way, same people I buy all my motherboards from :)

12. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

what with studies and everything i havent really had the time to keep up with hardware development. Have they now started making the 6800`s 100% directx9 compatable or does it still switch to alternative rendering methods under certain conditions?
    Oh, and the faulty cards i had were all Gainwood cards.

Stu_C

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I have now bought this Tyan Tachyon Radeon G9600PRO from Ebay...i have read the specs and they match what you said Ryan...looks like I could be onto a winner with this one...it only cost me £50 in the end...so I guess its worth it...as for the other one i bought thats going to be sold again and I will get more than what I paid for it thats for sure and I will sell my old one too...so maybe in effect I could get about £80 for both of them...not bad eh! sweet...well better get them on the site then and await my new toy aswell :D

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I got the new card this morning and tested it with Need For Speed Underground 2...my GOD!! I have never such great graphics for a long time...it was mind blowing..but I still cant play Splinter Cell 2 and Doom 3 :( maybe its cos I didnt buy them :rolleyes: so my fault I guess but who cares the other games I have are just enjoying the new graphics card and so am I...thanks Ryan...I owe one mate and Stu_C..

15. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

nice to see your happy with your purchase and at not a bad price either. If your desperate to get a taste of doom3 and Splintercell 2 you could always download the demo's from Doom3.com or the splintercell 2 demo from theplatoon.com

Stu_C