new aspiring techie guy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by burla++, Sep 15, 2008.

1. burla++

burla++ Bit Poster

My due respect to all frontiers of this wonderful forum , I have read series of posts and replies since joining this forum but now I see it very very necessary to officially say "i'm here" and I know for sure there's limitations to what I will learn from this forum...

im 20 and will graduate from the University sometimes next year....right now I am self studying for my A+ exam which i intend to write before the end of the year...im actually studying computer science in the Uni but im not really much into coding and software development and during my Internship at a computer firm , i discovered this burning desire for computer engineering/hardware and networking....im doing just fine in this aspect and i spent the most valuable moments of my internship in the engineering dept of the computer...even my supervisor and some other employees of the company now call me the new "african Michael Dell" cos they noticed i just have this great burning desire for hardware and networking....i have no doubts in my mind that I will do well in this newly discovered career i intend to pursue cos I definately love doing it........Along the line , while i was sourcing for materials on A+ online , some set of people discouraged me saying that A+ is kind old fashioned and that I should do something that is vogue cos doing A+ is like limiting myself....i felt really bad cos i really wanted to do the A+ and then afterwards N+ etc.....i was sooo touched by those negative comments about A+ being oldfashioned.....but then , the internet being like my advisor on whatever thing i need to do I.T wise , i started making researches about the significance of the A+ certification and if it still really needed...I found about that they were totally wrong cos being A+ certified is like having your employer gain more confidence in you that you really know I.T from the root....Luckily for me again , I came across this great forum and now i am even more amazed at the rate which A+ is soooooooo important especially for my chosen field in the I.T industry....I just cant wait to write the exam and then write the N+ during my next and last internship and then the MCDST afterwards...I had something like MCSE in mind after writing A+ and N+ but now i see i need to acquire the priceless "experience" before doing such....I just found this forum really helpful and now im soooo sure beyound reasonable doubt that I am on the right track...

P.S Does it matter when the stuy guide I'm using is manufactured???? I think that applies if wanna use braindumps but i dont want to do that..I want to read and really understand not just cram...Please enlighten me more on that cos I recently just bought the study guide im using from preplogic website...

talking of the exam proper , If I am going to get a discount voucher online , does it mean i will just walk into any authorized prometric /pearson VUE testing centre with my code and they will let write the exam there???? I know i have another option of just walking into the authorized testing centre and pay then book the day i'd be writing the exam , but when i checked out the price difference (i.e getting the discount voucher or paying directly to the testing centre) it is way tooooo massive and when i inquired from one around here , they said compTIA recently just incresed their prices...So basically , i just want to know if i can get the disocunt voucher online and then just walk into an authorized testing centre to write the exam or what steps do i need to follow if i am want to use the method of getting the discount voucher.......

NOTE: I am in Africa , Nigeria precisely...

please advice me.......I will find whatever information you can help me with helpful......thanks!!

2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Burla and Welcome...

I got my vouchers for the A+ from gracetechsolutions and booked my test online on Pearson Vues webiste (I'm in the UK here so keep in mind things might be different in Nigera, just read the websites carefully before you spend any cash), also make sure you get the vouchers that are valid for your country.

Good luck with the studying :biggrin

P.S. Got my 602 tommorow :eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I have never heard of someone walking into a test centre and paying with a voucher like you have said you will do. Normally you have to book your exams through the pearson vue or prometric website (you use the voucher code instead of your credit card).

so you need two vouchers for each A+ exam (you need to pass two for the A+).

You shouldn't be doing the MCSE unless you have relevant on the job experience and you shouldn't use braindumps as if you get caught you will be decertified for life.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

You can "walk" into some testing centres to book the exam, but you will have to wait until the next day (provided they have any empty slots) to sit the exam. For the most part exams are downloaded over night.

Like GBL, the high end professional certifications (eg MCSE) are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities, in other words if you do not have the experience, don't go for it. If you feel that you need higher qualifications there are alternative programs like the MSc/MA route.

Preplogic are a legit (proper) training material producer, just like MeasureUp, Transcender, Boson. If you ever want to check to see if a vender is not-legit (a braindump company) you can use certguard to check. People that use braindumps can be decertified and banned from taking any future exams.

One thing to make sure, if you're going to buy a voucher online for your exam - make sure that it's for the region your going to take the exam in, for example a North America/Canada voucher will not work in the UK/EU, etc...

We're glad you you found this forum useful, glad to have you onboard :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice above. Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. burla++

burla++ Bit Poster

thank you guys....i really appreciate all that has been said.....

P.S @Dullage i think you will understand the later part of my post more cos you have undergone what I intend to go through...so after booking for the test online with the Pearson Vues webiste , did they just tell you to walk into any of their centres or told you to go to a specific one or what did they tell you afterwards???

10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

When you book online they will give you the option of which test centre you would like to attend and show you the ones closest to you. You then choose which centre you prefer and at what time you would like to attend and voila...your all booked up :D

Goodluck :thumbleft

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  12. burla++

burla++ Bit Poster

thanks Dullage....