Networking Cabling

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok guys. I want to actually do some cabling (something i have done a little of before), so ive been looking at picking up a roll of Cat 5 cable, and the plugs.

But i havent really done much of it for AGES, and even when i did the equipment was my step-dads, so i have no real idea of the equipment im gonna need to pull it off.

i reckon im going to need a stanley knife (from what i recall, these are better for cutting the sheathing - once you figure out how hard to cut), and obviously the cable and the plugs, but im not too sure what else. my step-dad used to have a piece of equipment that you plugged into either end of the cable to double check the connections (saved putting the damn cable into the building only to find that it didnt work!) but i cant remember what it was called.

any ideas guys???

Course, once i get going on it, it'll be cool cause i'll be able to make up my own cables. and of course it means i can make cables up and sell them too!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

All you need is a crimper to clamp down the pins, and one of those wee cutty things that you put the individual wires in, turn it round once and VIOLA - bare wire (prize for the person the names it properly..). Then, just insert the wires in in the correct order, crimp and done !

Just Google if you need pin-out diags - I have them at work, but not handy...

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Heres a few to get you started:

An RJ45 Crimp Tool
    [​IMG]

Cable Boot for RJ45 Plugs to keep your patch cables looking neat
    [​IMG]

Punch Down Tool for cabling into patch panels and wall mounted modules
    [​IMG]

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

yeah, but wheres the wee cutty things that you put the individual wires in, turn it round once and VIOLA - bare wire, Si ? :biggrin

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use a handy cable sheath stripper at work for cutting away the outer sheath of CAT 5 cable, without so much as nicking the insulation on the inner wire pairs. Just push the wire into the hole, spin it around once and off comes the cable sheath.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Fergal1982

i recognise the punch down tool. used it before when i worked with my step-dad. and the crimp tool. and the boot thingies are cool!

if its not too much more expensive i think i might pick up the cat 5 fireproof cable (simply for the cool purple colour!)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

YOU WIN :thumbleft

And the prize is ......a signed picture of ME :biggrin

(Don't complain, you lot - second prize was TWO signed pictures of ME !!!)

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  8. Fergal1982

Just out of curiosity, apart from data capacity, what makes cat 6 so special? and does it require different technology to use? cause i could always pick that up.

also, just FYI - the cool purple cable is Low Smoke Zero Halogen (LSZH)

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Start with a quick look HERE for more info on Cat6, Fergal :)

10. Fergal1982

ok, so in essence, cat 6 is fully backwards compatible with cat 5e, but has a higher data capacity, allowing gigabit ethernet to operate at full speed through it. so in essence, i should really just start using cat 6. that way it'll be easier when i eventually come to putting everything up to 1000 base. (although i intend to get a gigabit switch when i move into my new flat. even though my current pc is only 100 base!)

Fergal

11. Fergal1982

ah no wait. im confusing myself here. cat 5 works at 1000base, but the quality is degraded. cat 5e works better at 1000base, being specifically designed for it. whilst cat 6 works the best at 1000base, im assuming that it has a max capacity higher than 1000Mb/s.

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fergal

Look here for a techy, charty numbery thing on CAT 5,5e, 6 and the proposed 7 cable system wotsit. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong