Networking and Linux are a natural fit

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Oct 29, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I had never really understood how much networking, per se, is built into Linux until today. I configured a ppp dialup connection today for a friend on a Debian machine using a Lucent winmodem. It took me a few hours to figure the entire thing out. It took me longer to identify the winmodem, find the drivers for the winmodem, compile them, build a .deb package so apt would know about them, install the package--had to install a new kernel to do that because the drivers weren't compatible with the kernel that was being used, manually configure the IO settings, and then configure the ppp connection. pon didn't work (for some reason it kept reading a 0 as a ")" ), but wvdial finally did.

That is so much harder than installing and configuring a nic it isn't even funny. It's harder than installing NVidia's graphics drivers by far. At least with them you can use module-assistant and get most of it done for you.

I had heard that setting up a ppp connection was a pain, but I didn't realize how much of one until today.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting insight into real computer configuration Freddy!

Would it have been easier if the modem had been external or something other than a crappy internal winmodem?

How easy in comparison is it to set up wireless NICs in modern distros?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ffreeloader

If it had been a hardware internal modem, or an external modem it would have probably been about 1/3 the chore is my guess. I have always used broadband and so has everyone I have built Debian boxes for. This is the first ppp connection I've had to set up.

As to wireless... Well, I have no wireless equipment so I've never set on one up.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow, must be nice living in the US. I have only just got broadband this year, I lost count years ago as to how many dial up connections I have set up. I think broadband is easier in so many ways.

As for wireless, well you should get into it Freddy, it's pretty cool these days. I recently converted a small business to wireless because the owner couldn't stand the sight of all the Cat5 cables laying around. Also most new laptops have built in wireless capability as well as on board NICs. It is so much easier not having to do cable runs through the ceiling or walls. Also it is affordable these days.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. ffreeloader

If I could afford it, I'd have purchased wireless equipment long ago just so I could say I can set it up. However, until I get a job I'm so broke I can't even pay attention. :biggrin