network software

Discussion in 'Software' started by stuPeas, Sep 22, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I know quite a bit about networking hardware from books, but I know nothing about the software side of it all (domains, active directory, servers, etc). I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good book that covers all these topics). I've looked at the Network + books but they are mostly hardware based and I seem to know quite a lot of the stuff in these books anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Stu :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For the purpose of exam or for general knowledge.

Also, imo, if you're going to look at networks (especially MS ones), you'll have to delve into servers, which is a subject on it own really.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja

Anyway, this is quite good. But even better would be to set up your own domain/network and have a play around - either virtually (thru VMware or Virtual PC) or physically (multiple machines.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

For now, its to get a good background for my CIW Server Administration exam. The exam will not go that deep but I'm one of those pain in the bum people who cant understand a topic without going back to first principles.

I thought maybe the server information would be included in the books. Don't get me wrong, I know a little about servers (web mainly), but I'm now interested in how software forms an intranet. I would like the book to explain the principles behind domains (not web domains), the processes that take place during an authentication (and where exactly this takes place), user access lists, etc.

If possible this book should be aimed at a relative newby (but need not go into the OSI, or TCP/IP).

Ken, you mentioned Microsoft, Is this where I should be looking? Are there any certification books that would do the trick?

Thanx
    Stu :oops:

5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Is there any type of VM software that is Free or really cheap as I'm not working at the moment?

6. Kitkatninja

Virtual PC 2007 is free, see here.

I mentioned Microsoft technologies and my link is for the core of the MCSE, mainly because you mentioned Active Directory which is a MS technology.

Other book which I've found usefuly are books by Sybex.

If you want for free (for now) try technet, see here for the Windows Server page.

Servers and nerworks are such a big area, I don't now if there is a intro book to cover both in the detail that you require, BosonMichael should be somewhere (he's a techical author) so he should know more about this than me :)

-Ken

7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Cheers Ken.