Network Service Improvements

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Coupe2T, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hi All,

Possibly a bit of an odd question here, and maybe difficult to answer without going into too much detail, but I have been asked to look at potential service improvements over our network, which can include better processes for doing things, whether that be from patching to firewalls to loadbalancers and so on. Or potentially replacing equipment/tools that we use etc.

So really looking for a list of good value tools that you may have used or best value equipment etc. I know that's vague, but just looking for some ideas so that I can start doing some research and investigation etc.

To give a rough idea of where we are, we use the following at present within our environment.

F5 Loadbalancers
    Checkpoint/Nokia firewalls
    Scrutinizer
    SNMPc v7
    Juniper IVE's
    Keynote
    RSA remote access

So really just looking for improvements, or additions to improve what we do. Even if it's just a little tool to help with WiFi troubleshooting or things like that. I've recently picked up inSSIDer which is quite a handy little utility, but any others that you have found useful, please let me know. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In regard to the products you have are any of them causing support headaches or are they costing too much in terms of licensing? Any products getting near end of life that could mean a good time to look at different products?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

We have a lot of Best-Effort support. As a massive global company we manage to get some half reasonable but poor quality support contracts.

Most things give headaches, possibly with the exception of the F5's, they seem pretty stable.

If there are well known cheaper alternatives that are just as capable of standing up to what we need, or maybe you just have some great network tools, whatever, I wanna know! Then I'll research and if anything is worth doing then will try and push it! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!