Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

When i try to plug my laptop into another computer via a crossover cable it says connected but no packets are being sent or recieved. ? Any one got any suggestions

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, the obvious first question would be, do they both have an ip address in the same range, and can they ping each other?

3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

yes both computers are in the same ip address range and they can both ping each other.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - if they can ping each other then packets are being sent and received!

Don't forget that with TCP/IP 'no activity' is perfectly valid. It is the Windows addons that are 'chatty'.

If what you want to do is share files then you need to setup sharing on each machine, and share the items required.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yes packets are being recieved and sent but nothing else will work. File and print sharing does not work neither does Inetnet Connection Sharing.

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

enabling file and printer sharing is not enough. did you create actual shares?

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Avoiding ICS for the moment - what do you mean by 'file sharing does not work'?

I take it you have enabled shareing, and shared a directory?

And what versions of Windows are involved here?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The Shares are created on my laptop and all the other computers in my home wireless network can access the shares

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Both are running windows xp

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

so the pc still is connected to the wireless network, while the laptop is connected to the pc via the crossover cable?

is the ip address on the pc for the crossover cable in the same range as the wireless network? if so, try to avoid that. you probably have issues with your default gateway. best to shut down your wireless connection altogether. start from the most simple situation, and then work your way from there.

11. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

no the pc is never connected to the wireless network when the crossover cable is plugged in

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

okay. but is the laptop connected to the wireless network? or are there any firewalls?
    you know, there's really no need to hold back. please drown us in as much info as you can give us. i feel like we have to pull it all out of you. :eek:

13. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

i will give you all information 2 pcs are connected via a crossover cable the wireless network connection is not connected when the crossover cable is plugged in. And all the firewalls have been disabled on the connections

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Jack,

Do an ipconfig /all on both machines and copy the output for each on here (preferably as an attachment - txt file will be fine) We can have a closer look then :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Jack,

What Operating System are the two running? Are they both XP?

You say that the PC's are not connected to the wireless network, in this case are they both assigned static IP Addresses?

:blink

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL that is exactly what I was thinking :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

both operating systems are XP and they have static ip address set

18. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

please try a different crossover cable and reboot booth machines...[grasps at straws..]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

Questions:
    1 ) Does both computers run the same kind of Windows XP? Like Home Edition and Home Edition? Or Professional and Professional?
    2 ) Are both computers configured to be in the same workgroup?
    3 ) Do both computers have identical usernames created in "Local Users and Groups?"
    4 ) Do the identical usernames have sufficient permissions to access the resources on the other computer?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA